Community Forum

New customer, issues on day 1

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

New customer, issues on day 1

I'm a new customer (coming from AT&T Uverse) and had a tech visit my house on 4/10.  He did what he needed to do outside such as check the condition of the wiring and connectors and replaced what he needed.  Before he left he registered the Netgear CM1150V modem I just bought and gave me a bag of equipment (primary STB/DVR, add-on STB, three short lenghts of coax, and a splitter).

I was surprised I didn't see any significant self-install guide but I'm an electrical engineer so I wasn't worried.  Boy was I naive.  The installation tech did tell me that all I need to do is connect the cable modem to a coax output, enter the MAC address and maybe answer some other questions and I'd be set.

First of all, I have three cable outlets in my house (one downstairs, one in a loft, and one in the master bedroom).  The outlet in the loft is centrally located so I thought that'd be optimal for the modem and my TP-Link AC5400X router.  It's also not really convienent to connect the networking equipment to either of the other two outlets due to lack of space.

I did the self-install activation (xfinity.com/activate) and it recognizes my address of service but I get the following error:

Sorry, that didn't go as planned.

The cable modem is not connecting to the service.  The xfinity website states there's a signal problem -- they cannot "see" the modem.  To add to that, Comcast came out to my house while I was away.  They left a note stating that there might be a problem with wiring or a connector and they need to come into the house to check.  I called the phone number on the note and was told the earliest appointment I could get was 6/9!  Yes, June!  Obviously that's not going to work and I shouldn't expect to pay for 2 months of service that I can't use.

On top of that, I connected the DVR STB to see if there's a "TV" signal.  The STB stops at the language selection screen but I can't select anything because the remote (XR11) doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I know the remote is okay because I was able to program it with codes for my TV and soundbar.

I also spent over 40 minutes on the phone with Customer Care and they found that my modem is registered in one system but not another.  I don't know those details but the person I was speaking with didn't understand what was going on.  Kudos to him for spending 40 minutes to try to resolve the issue but unfortunately I still don't have service.

What should I do?  I don't want to wait for 2 months to get somebody out here.  Luckily I still have my AT&T Uverse service with the exception of TV service.  I really don't want to pay two service providers for a couple of months.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: New customer, issues on day 1

Establish which of the coax connections is "live" without using any comcast equipment.   Plug your DTV direct to the wall coax outlet.   Do a channel-scan with TV tuner in "cable" mode rather than "antenna".     For a live coax, the DTV will locate at least one QAM/digital-cable channel that plays an endless loop with a dude/message "yadda yadda yadda you need a cable box".     After you have established which is a live-coax-outlet, you can use it for cable-modem and settop box.   If you want to change which coax outlets are 'live' you visit the basement and find the "splitter" and start juggling/adding/removing cables, bring masking tape and sharpie, label methodically before/after with whatever you discover, like they taught us in EE lab.   🙂 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Well, the cable boxes are not working.  They aren't connecting.

The Status page indicates a connection issue with the modem and primary cable box.  The page also states

We're having trouble finding a signal

Make sure your device is connected to a power source. If you're still experiencing issues, try restarting your device.

I've tried this and everything else that's plausible.  Aren't there any Comcast support people monitoring the forums that can offer help?
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Can you track down where the Comcast cable is and where the cables to your house are and see if the 2 are connected?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I was able to get a tech to come out today and fix the problem.  He said there was another length of cable outside that looked pretty old so he replaced that.  However, the real issue was how AT&T  connected their Uverse service.  Their signal came to the house via POTS which ran to the input of their gateway.  From there, three services were split out (voice, TV, internet).  The VOIP phone service was patched back into the twisted pair wiring going to each phone outlet in the house.  The TV service was output on coax and sent back to the service panel where it was split and connected to 2 of the 3 cable outlets in the house (as indicated by the red tags in the photo below).  And last but not least, the WAN connected was available via the built-in 4-port switch in the gateway.

So it appears that the outlet I was trying to connect the cable modem to has not been active since AT&T did their work.  The tech was able to get the two lines for the TVs working without much issue but I still didn't have internet access.  That was resolved by reusing the run of coax that AT&T used from the output of their gateway back to the service panel (which brought the Uverse TV signal to the splitter with the cut cable seen in the photo).  He connected that cable to the 3-way splitter and presto, a broadband signal was available to the cable modem.

This is the "before" state of the service panel.

IMG_0371.jpg

This is my house's AT&T POTS service box.  A single cable with the necessary bandwidth to carry all services is so much cleaner.

IMG_0372.JPG

Well, the pics aren't showing although they seemed to upload fine.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Glad you got it going, not all self installs are the same. Photos need to be approved by Admins. Hard to compare 2 companies, apples and oranges

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!