Community Forum

New Modem Activation

Highlighted
New Poster

New Modem Activation

So I currently own a modem. This modem must have faulty hardware, because I have massively reduced speeds throughout the day, so I got a new modem, as you guys insisted I do.

My new modem was deactivated recently. You guys refused to reactivate it because it's not approved for Xfinity use. Great. So I just bought a second new modem. I go to my account page to manage my devices, but just as it would happen, you guys refuse to allow us to manage our own devices. So I try to directly connect to the new modem and activate it using the activation form, but it never populates. Now my only option is to call you guys.

So I call and get someone who collects all the information for the new modem. He makes me wait, then says I need to "confirm it". When I see the confirmation page, it has a rental modem added to my account. This guy literally made me wait 45 minutes, pretend to collect all the information from my owned modem, then tried to sell me a rental. I asked him to please stop and instead activate my new modem. He *REFUSED*, insisting I *had* to buy the rental "in case this new modem doesn't work" and when I told him I do not want a rental he insisted again that "I really should use a rental". I asked him if he seriously is going to make me hang up and call back to try someone else who isn't going to lie and pretend to service my call? Instead he insisted I talk to a supervisor, who never picked up despite waiting for an hour.

I'm honestly baffled right now and I'm at my wit's end. You guys *insisted* I buy a new modem, you deactivate it insisting I buy another, and now you won't activate it telling me to buy a rental to replace *the new modem I just bought*. In what universe would someone ever think selling me something to replace *a brand new thing that you instructed me to buy* makes any sense?

What do I do now? Seriously - what do I do? You guys are collecting my money for internet service while *literally refusing* to assist me.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: New Modem Activation

@rcwuthrich wrote:

So I currently own a modem. This modem must have faulty hardware, because I have massively reduced speeds throughout the day, so I got a new modem, as you guys insisted I do.

My new modem was deactivated recently. You guys refused to reactivate it because it's not approved for Xfinity use. Great. So I just bought a second new modem. I go to my account page to manage my devices, but just as it would happen, you guys refuse to allow us to manage our own devices. So I try to directly connect to the new modem and activate it using the activation form, but it never populates. Now my only option is to call you guys.

So I call and get someone who collects all the information for the new modem. He makes me wait, then says I need to "confirm it". When I see the confirmation page, it has a rental modem added to my account. This guy literally made me wait 45 minutes, pretend to collect all the information from my owned modem, then tried to sell me a rental. I asked him to please stop and instead activate my new modem. He *REFUSED*, insisting I *had* to buy the rental "in case this new modem doesn't work" and when I told him I do not want a rental he insisted again that "I really should use a rental". I asked him if he seriously is going to make me hang up and call back to try someone else who isn't going to lie and pretend to service my call? Instead he insisted I talk to a supervisor, who never picked up despite waiting for an hour.

I'm honestly baffled right now and I'm at my wit's end. You guys *insisted* I buy a new modem, you deactivate it insisting I buy another, and now you won't activate it telling me to buy a rental to replace *the new modem I just bought*. In what universe would someone ever think selling me something to replace *a brand new thing that you instructed me to buy* makes any sense?

What do I do now? Seriously - what do I do? You guys are collecting my money for internet service while *literally refusing* to assist me.

Who are "you guys"?  Why did they tell you you had to buy a new modem?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Hey Again.

"You guys" is a phrase used in the English language to refer to a general group of people. Since this is the Comcast support forum and since my issue is in regards to a Comcast servicing request, "you guys" are the collection of employees administering these services. This is called "dialogue". Let me know if you need further clarification on how to maintain a dialogue with another person.

I was told to get a new modem because it's apparently the only solution that the seven people I talked to have been trained to offer as a resolution for issues such as packet loss or persistent speed issues.

Expert

@rcwuthrich wrote:

Hey Again.

"You guys" is a phrase used in the English language to refer to a general group of people. Since this is the Comcast support forum and since my issue is in regards to a Comcast servicing request, "you guys" are the collection of employees administering these services. This is called "dialogue". Let me know if you need further clarification on how to maintain a dialogue with another person.

I was told to get a new modem because it's apparently the only solution that the seven people I talked to have been trained to offer as a resolution for issues such as packet loss or persistent speed issues.

Thank for the lesson in English, although I am well versed in it and its idioms.  However, I think you probably missed this part:

Again_0-1593975589256.png

We have no idea who "you guys" are unless you're specific.

So, did a CSR or tech "you guys" tell you to get a new modem?  Did an employee from here tell you to get a new modem?  What level of service do you have?  Are you on the Gig plan?  If so, a lot of times when the plan is set up "those guys" ask that you have it set up with one of their modems and afterward you can switch it out to one of your own.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!