Community Forum

New Gateway Modem/Router - don't want it!

Regular Visitor

New Gateway Modem/Router - don't want it!

Comcast has sent me their Gateway Modem/Router and states that my Arris WBM760A/CT DOCSIS 3.0 modem will no longer work after Jan 30th.  I don't want to change...it work absolutely fine and can handle speeds faster than I pay for.  Up to 343 mbps. I have a top of the line ASUS router that can also handle those speeds.  I have Triple Play and my home security systems works with the VOIP.  The new Gateway arrived with back-up NO BATTERY, but I can buy one from Comcast for $35 - $70 depending on my model... Shame on you Comcast!   I know all about the Hot Spot thing and don't like that either.  I know I can turn off the public access and Comcast will just cycle it back on within a month.  I see no reason to force me to change and I am not happy.   Has anyone just stuck with what they had and is still receiving their service just fine?  

Regular Contributor

Re: New Gateway Modem/Router - don't want it!

I was too worried that I'd be without service and caved... I did write my reps and begged them to please keep an eye on this corp. The only way to prevent monopolies from completely screwing us over is to write our reps and consumer advocates and demand they do something or (in the case of our reps: throw them out in'18). I'm so grateful I live in a state where our reps are responsive (CT) and actually fight back on behalf of their constituents!

That said, I was told several years ago to replace my modem, I looked up their agreement with Comcast and saw that I had plenty of time before replacing it and finally did  last month. It infuriates me that it is almost double the KWHs (terrible for the environment) and completely unnecessary for the speed tier I'm subscribed to. 

Regular Contributor

If E.G. is still around the boards, maybe he will respond, if not: look up his posts on the subject, he's a treasure and a wealth of information...Avoid the shills here (they are the ones sure to remove this post) and offer nothing but bad advice. Why Comcast keeps them on is a total mysterySmiley Happy

Regular Visitor

I like your idea of writing to our reps....and yes Comast has much too much of the pie and is becoming pushy.  I am unusre how I will proceed with this Gateway they sent to me...first I will contact my security company and get their opinion.  I am sure they have seen plenty of these and have had to program the alarms to work with them... I have read about call issues with these gateways and that's a big part of my concern.  Thanks for your input...truly appreciated!

Regular Visitor

Shills??  Sorry I must not be up on the lingo...

Regular Contributor

Shill: 

• n.
    One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
  • v.
    To act as a shill.
  • v.
    To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).

Sorry, like many detractors of Comcast, I can't help but notice the stench of investors or supposed "experts" here in the forums giving "advice." 

*E.G. and Bruce W.  seem trustworthy.*

Regular Contributor

PS This is the longest stretch of not being deleted since I've been posting...it almost makes me uncomfortable Smiley Wink

Regular Visitor

Ah understood Su2z...   Thanks for the warning.  Was hoping there would be others like myself who have not used Comcast's equipment and still has perfectly fine service.  I just can't understand the part about my equipment will not longer work on their network after 30 January.  Makes no sense at all!