Community Forum

My coax cable broke and the copper came out of the coax

Contributor

My coax cable broke and the copper came out of the coax

Yesterday I was doing cable management due to me not having cable wall outlets as I have this long drop cable. Somehow the screw connector got really loose and the copper came out of the coax when I disconnected the splitter.

I put the copper wire back in cable and I got a signal.

Now I want to know if this repair will cost me money. I'm asking about the cost of repairs due to the fact in 2015 I had a problem where a Comcast tech had to many splitters on the outside of my house. That was causing the TV signal to cut out while using the internet.
A tech came out and put this box on my house and fixed the problem.

However I was charged for this repair and the fault was not mine.
20170131_144650.jpg
Expert

Re: My coax cable broke and the copper came out of the coax

If the problem is before the groundblock, then it's Comcast's problem and you won't be charged. If it's after the groundblock, then it's your wiring and they will charge for the repair.

You can sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Contributor

Do you know what they charge for replacing the screw end?

Also would you advise me trying to splice a new connector on it since it is already messed up?

This cable feeds my X1 box and it feeds my modem.

Expert

@strykerzr350 wrote:

Do you know what they charge for replacing the screw end?

I don't know exactly, but a service call is in the $60 range.

Also would you advise me trying to splice a new connector on it since it is already messed up?
The f-connectors are compression fittings, you need the right tools and fitting to correctly make a repair. If you are feeling handy there isn't any reason you can't fix it yourself. You can find what you need at your local home improvment center. You'll want RG6 compression fittings, a compression tool and a stripper. Don't use crimp or screw type connectors. There is a good how-to YT video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDS8uinV7oQ

But yes, it needs to be repaired, a loose fitting can cause all sorts of issues. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Admin1

Hi Adam_A -- The information provided by nerdburg is correct. We can help get a tech scheduled if you do not feel comfortable trying to make a repair like this on your own. Please let us know know if you'd like to get an on-site tech scheduled. 

Contributor

I will send a private message once I get ready for the tech to come to my house. I feel comfortable doing the job but by the time I get the cable stripper and compression tool along with shipping. I can pay for the tech coming out to the house. No need in buying a tool that I will use only once.

I also have an older style cable in another room that is on the X1 platform. I think it is predecessor to RG6 as the copper wire is very flimsy. That will need to be replaced as well. 

Admin1

Adam_A -- Thank you for working with me via PM. I am glad to hear that the tech was able to get this line issue resolved and that everything is working as it should.