Community Forum

Monthly cost for internet-only went up again -- and without any notice

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Monthly cost for internet-only went up again -- and without any notice

I'm not aware of having received any notice (written or email) from Comcast about an increase in monthly cost.  My basic charge for 100 MB/sec internet (no TV, no phone, no other stuff) is now $72.95.

This also happened when my monthly went from $66.95 to 69.95.

In addition, when I visit the "Manage my plan" link to see what other plans are available, they are all bundled deals with TV and/or telephone, neither of which I want.  Oh, wait, there is one Gigabit internet service for $90+ per month.

According to an online articlde from March 2019, monthly internet plans nationwide average out to about $50/month for a basic plan.  The only services that come close to Comcast in price are fibre-based and presumably don't have my annual cable failure that entails someone coming out from Comcast to fix my cable.

Where I live (Indiana) the only other offering is AT&T, which is lousy, but (initially) cheaper.  Just down the road is a much better provider, but we are outside their catchment area.  Presumably, Comcast feels that we have nowhere else to turn, so they can raise their rates as much as and as often as they want.