Community Forum

Modem rental required for Gig service?

New Poster

Modem rental required for Gig service?

Comcast just deployed DOCSIS 3.1 to my neighborhood and I called today to upgrade my connection to 1 GB service.  When I started service back in July, I purchased a Netgear CM1000, which is DOCSIS 3.1 compatible and is listed as compatible equipment on the Xfinity site.  When I placed my order for the 1 Gig service, the rep told me that: 1) It was required that a tech come to do the install (no problem there) and 2) It was required that I lease a modem from Comcast to obtain the service.  I specifically asked if that was applicable if I already had a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and the rep said it was mandatory to ensure the best quality of service.  This seems to be contradicted by the Comcast site which lists four 1 Gig compatible modems at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo, include the CM1000.

Could someone from Comcast confirm whether or not I can use my own equipment?  My router (Netgear Nighthawk AC1750) should be able to handle 1 GB speeds without an issue, it is only the modem I am concerned about.

If I can use my modem, what is the best way to handle this?  Can I leave my order as-is and have the tech set up the new service on Saturday with my existing equipment?  That way if there's any issue with my modem, we can always substitute the Comcast gateway he's going to bring with him.  Or if he brings the gateway out am I obligated to use it?

Expert

Re: Modem rental required for Gig service?

Yeah, in areas where Gig is just becoming available, they require that you rent the modem to initiate service. Nothing stops you from swapping out the rental for your own modem after the installation though. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Let me also ask a follow-up to my own question - can someone confirm that a tech visit is required for upgrading to 1 Gig?  If that is not a requirement I'd just as soon see if they can upgrade me right away and if I don't get the advertised speeds I can have the tech come out as scheduled with the Comcast gateway.

Expert

Yes, the pro install is required. The tech is required to run some specific tests to make sure your specific location/node can handle gig service.  

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Perfect, thanks for the confirmation!  That works for me.  You can ignore my question above, if the rental is required to start then I'm sure they'll want the tech to bring it out.

It does make sense because I'm sure 99% of customers have no idea whether they have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem or whether their existing equipment is capable of handling 1/Gb/sec and I could see this leading to a lot of unecessary disatisfaction.  The Comcast facility is a two block walk from my house, so if I'm able to get everything going with the CM1000 after the fact, I'll return the gateway.  If not, I'll keep it and just sell my existing equipment.