Community Forum

Modem coverage...

New Poster

Modem coverage...

I am not "tech. savvy". But I do know what had worked and what, has now been changed and is costing me extra money.

We had two modems in our 1,700 square foot, single story house.  An Xfinity tech. had come out years ago and worked with us and that is what he set up.  My hubby went to our local Xfinity store recently to exchange a remote which did not work.

After that exchange - only one modem worked!  We can not/do not get an internet connection from one end of our home to the other.  I went out and bought a booster (as was suggested during one of my many calls to Xfinity).  That did not improve/change the connection.  After many, many calls and talking to many, many people - the solution was/is....

SInce Xfinity does not allow more than one modem per account/household - I now have been made in to two people.  I have one account for my TV, Phone and Internet.  I have another account (adding my middle initial to this account) for internet.  What I am really trying hard to understand is - why did I have two modems with one cost two months ago, and now have two modems with two costs?  Why is it my issue and not Xfinity's (who is offering Internet connection) that I can not get internet connection throughout my house?  Why didn't Xfinity send a tech. out to see if the issue could be fixed without charging me extra?  To me, it seems like Xfinity is double billing me for the same service - I don't get it.  Can anyone provide me with a logical answer?  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Modem coverage...

I purchased my own cable modem on Amazon for $60.00. Comcast has a list of compatible modems you can purchase. Then I purchased the Netgear Orbi router and one Orbi satellite. That solved all of the dead wifi spots in our home and also eliminated the cable modem rental fees. The Orbi is not cheap, bot it is very powerful. You might be able to find a less expensive router system than the Orbi, but it might be trial and error. Orbi is expandable also but the satellites are not cheap. Try Walmart or Amazon...they carry them. I'm sure that will solve your dead zones.

Official Employee

Hello Ohkay.  You were advised correctly that your residential account can only support one internet modem. There might have been some type of work-around the previous technician did to force provision your second device at that time. That option may no longer be available. I can assist with reviewing your account and previous modem configuration to attempt to explain why this worked before. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

New Poster

Hi there Joe,

So.... I apologize in advance for being negative before I even hear your explanation.  If you can tell/explain to me how this is NOT double billing for one Xfinity service (being the internet connection), I will be amazed!

We have been at this address for over 20 years - and have never had the issue we had two months ago - being double charged for internet connection in our 1,700 square foot single story house.  Shame on Xfinity....

This message says, "This is a public forum.  Please do not post personal information such as name, phone #...."  You asked me for my name and account number... Am I suppose to put it in this email that states not to?

Thank you for your advice/suggestions.

New Poster

Oops... I see where to leave you a "private message"...

New Poster

Is my modem issue still being looked into by Joe?  Thank you!