Community Forum

Modem Upgrade

Regular Visitor

Modem Upgrade

I recently responded to an xfinity email offering to "Update your modem to get faster Internet speeds – at no additional
cost to you." I contacted xfinity via chat-room because the link in the email did not work. The email went on to represent that, "The modem you currently have does not give you all the in-home WiFi speed you need to get the most out of your service. So we would like to update your equipment. There's no cost to update your equipment, plus we'll waive shipping and handling fees for your Self-Install Kit. However, please know that your regular monthly equipment fees will still apply."  The xfinity rep said he would send me an email to start the process of mailing me the new modem.  Unfortunately, the new email that he sent included a "one-time charge" of $14.99 and an estimated monthly bill of $194.30.  My current monthly bill is $163.66. The chat rep then called me on the phone to ask why I hadn't approved of the new modem online. When I told him that the email I received included a one-time charge of $14.99 and a new estimated monthly charge of over $30 more than I currently pay, he said that the $14.99 would be credited on the following month's bill and someone would review my bill after I accepted the offer.  When I informed him that his email requested that I accept the written terms that were different than his oral terms; that I had been tricked into this kind of scam in the past; that no adjustment was ever forthcoming, and this consitituted an unfair and deceptive trade practice under the FTC and Washington Consumer Protection Act, our conversation ended.  What a miserable way xfinity does business!

Expert

Re: Modem Upgrade

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Official Employee

Belesgroup, updating your modem shouldn't incur additional monthly fees. I'd like to look into this and get you a replacement modem at no cost for shipping. Please send me a private message with your full name, residential account number and address for help.

Regular Visitor

I got the same email, except when I called they couldn't help me and said I'm not able to get an upgraded modem. So much for getting the most out of my recently upgraded internet speeds.