Community Forum

Model Name TG3482G

Frequent Visitor

Model Name TG3482G

This model, seems to be a mystery, I didn't know that if you have any issues it that they'll attempt to help you by transferring your call and no one ever picks up, you could be sitting there for hours watching your cell phone minutes expire than incure serious overages promise to call you back if your disconnect, and NEVER do, even the managers Will end up doing this 🀯, so I've called and called and called, but for some reason now I can't get any straight answers or help, heck even the at Comcast store where they gave me this rented piece of dirt machine, the guy there promised me I could easily do everything from the app, I guess that includes firewalls, remote calling, ports and any kind security setup. But wait!! No it doesn't... And even though I asked about a setup manual or even a print out because I only have a cell phone, the last modem I was paying rent for, NEVER had a security guard, or setup ither, so my brand new laptop, is no at a shop for virus, tracking bugs, and overall De-bugging and fix. I had only used it 5x now, and the first two days were me uploading media to it from Disc's, the next time was for gov aid pages, and the last time It was to get Skype removed from a company (Microsoft) unrelated but ultimately they operate the same shady way. So my issues with this is that no one has actually been able to do a thing so far, for any issue concerning this model, or they have to send to ???? Yeah after 2 hours of wait music on repeat you would tend to forget, and yeah this was already being hacked before I finished setup via phone and it took 3 hours for the second customer service representative to tell me to go 10.0.0.1 and I could start setting up WiFi, because the first couldn't even help me when I called after Immidiately after I saw 2 unknown devices on this network that I was told couldn't be hacked unless they were hard wired in, so yeah thanks for all your hard work Xfinity, and your not -existent manual with device, even thou I requested it as I picked up in store, I also asked about the security and if I could at least get a printout of how to secure the device to prevent exactly what did happen from happening again. I was told I could do everything from the app to setup and secure this, you can not! The remote access is set to it's default, to open to anyone, which means and every single device you own my now be compromised, but this isn't thier fault, and your firewall is also set to default, which is the lowest possible settings so there's another opened wide door for hackers to walk right into your devices, they have two ways in with the most common modem setup webpage , and the login and password. Mine had been the same for the 3 different models I have gotten over these years, so once hacked how can they help you? If you find out let me know please, cause I haven't heard anything about it from them, even though I told every single representative I talked with even before I was disconnected from WiFi calling, not one person has took the time to even apologize for the new computer getting infected, my phone and bank accounts, driving to the one and only Comcast Xfinity store in town, well from what maps tells me anyway, and having to wait 2 hours to exchange the modem that never got secured in the first place, I could go on and on. About how overall, worst services towards customers ever! I seen more common senses inside jails, and people who rob you.. at least the robber doesn't lie about what he or she wants and is willing to do to get it.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream TV And missing recorded shows

I'm 100% there with you! I've been calling over and over for the last 3 days now trying to get a simple secure setup because I was recently hacked, and be careful with what you "rent" from Xfinity/Comcast, because they literally will give you something have so called tech's install it and never once tell you that the security isn't setup but that's your responsibility. (And I've been with them 4 years now and the first computer i owned was purchased 2 months ago. And is already in a PC repair shop) read your contracts carefully ppl.

And when it comes to customer service calls the let you sit on hold or transfer for hours, like it's some joke, or continually not know how to solve the issues. Or "can't help" Anymore due to new policy's. And also be careful because if someone from thier high ups read you complaints they'll just disappear your post and ban you due to some offense or another. Instead of addressing the issue and trying to relsovle it.
Expert

Hi @Bryan35

You sound a little frustrated my friend. Can we help you get your issue resolved? What happened?

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Please refer to the link if your interested at all about what happened https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Model-Name-TG3482G/m-p/
Expert

@Bryan35 Alright my friend, I just moved all this to one place so we can help you out. What I'm gathering is that you 

1) Got a Comcast modem/router installed

2) You got a new laptop

3) You got hacked/infected?

You feel Comcast didn't warn you/help you? And just so I can help you - what exactly do you want from Comcast?

PS: It looks like one of the other Xperts already escalated your issue so a corporate employee can try to help you get this resolved. 

Frequent Visitor

The modem I had, I got it installed probably 2 years ago, but at that time, I had no computer or decent smart phone. He set up everything for us, I was never to about remote access, firewalls, open ports, anything really. But the streaming devices worked, so I never thought about anything like that, I got the new laptop 2 months ago, I used it basically to store music, so need to get on the internet at first, than just last week, I got a vacation time and decided to play with my new laptop, connected to the internet realized it was a Windows 10 hp, the internet ran smooth and it could easily connect with my Xbox one, my OnePlus phone Bluetooth speaker, by use number 4 I had no issues, by number 5, that's all I got to use it for was 5 times, I was remotely hacked & scammed,. I have also messaged both Microsoft and McAfee, because both had internal safety settings, again I knew nothing about, so after multiple calls and emails and posts, I still have had nothing resolved, I was told on Xfinity's that I should get my laptop to a repair shop, (out of pocket of course) and exchange the modem/wireless Gateway, because there was nothing they could do on thier end.
So I did, while exchanging the modem, which took 2 hours in store, I asked the guy who was checking it out to me, if I could get a manual and security setup print out, I told him I was recently hacked and that is why I am exchanging modems, he did not get me ither of what I asked, instead he insisted that someone had to be "Hard lined" in to hack it, and the setup and security was all done through the Xfi app, Well no the only part of that statement that was true is the setup part, and by the time the app finished and I changed the names and passwords for both 2.5ghz and 5ghz I had an Unknown already in, I was never told that I could get on to sure 10.0.0.1 for setup as well, so I immediately called customer service, I was "transferred" to security... But I wasn't I sat in transfers for over an hour, I recalled customer service, told the guy what just happened and to please help me, he had to transfer me , and again I wait finally 29 minutes later someone picks up, I tell them all my information including CALL BACK NUMBER, in case we get disconnected, which happened mid statement of him telling me that I was going to be transferred again. No return call for 20 minutes, this was in going and simply reoccuring till 1:40am I had 2 ppl call back once, but 1 didn't do the second time, the other left me in transfer for 40 minutes. I gave up, I called the next day to officially Lodge a complaint and see if any one else could help me, I was transferred to a manager, but things started working on my end slightly so she transferred me to help me get streaming internet devices back to the way they were before this new modem, ... I was left in transfer again, a full 2 passed before I gave up this time, and I was told they were going to be on the line with me until the other side picked up, well by 1 hour and 45 minutes have I started repeatedly asking if any one was there, .... Silence ... Thanks Emma, I got that ones name, ... So here we are I have spotty internet no laptop and I'm so frustrated over this, I'm ready to see if there's any legal action I can take. Because I believe when my sole purchase is high speed internet , Blast Pro. I would think that I would get secure devices or a warning stating that there's no security and I'd have to set it up my self and information about each setting, or have 1 department that could handle all aspects of the modem, instead of the constant transferring and re telling of my address phone last 4 of my SSN, 23 times. My Max was 6 times in 1 call.

I'm beyond my limit of understanding what could be happening with my internet or even if it's safe to use. And I still can't get any help.
Frequent Visitor

And I didn't mean to accept this an answer, none of the links or buttons were working when I pressed them, untill that one.
Frequent Visitor

And by the way this site was just flagged by McAfee as unsecure and potentially dangerous....
Expert

@Bryan35 thanks for the details.

When Comcast supplies you a gateway (modem/router combo) by default it is a secured device. The router functions as a firewall device and the wireless networks are already secured by a unique password. You can access the device  via  http://10.0.0.1, but that only works if you are already on the network. 

As you seem to be well aware, Windows 10 has built-in antivirus protection and you're running McAfee as well?

Despite this, you've been hacked? What symptoms are you seeing? What exactly is happening?  

Frequent Visitor

The security protocals are set to low, and I am not Tech expert but i can have anywhere to from 4-17 devices connected to my network at once, I've labed all of them, who ever was on is still logged with the Xfi app, but is no longer on 10.0.0.1, i beleive but they were there before the Xfi app finished the full setup / boot on my phone, 

I up loaded a picture of attempts on just my xfinity firewall.... McAfee had also blocked over 1k in 4 hours i've gotten my laptop back.  So i couldn't do a "setup" on any type of device but a cell phone, .... with no wifi untill the setup was complete. I think theres a flaw there somewhere because thats how I caught them.

And I belive I mentioned i was NOT told about 10.0.0.1, untill my 3rd call for assastance in secureing my wifi from further more aggresive attacks. I mean i had Just put in, and it took 3 hours to be told this... 

Symptoms, Were. (they have mostly subsided) slow to infrequient connections, ranges dropping and returning, intrentet speeds all over the place, I could barely use the High speed internet Blast Pro, non Promo price, internet i paid for, As earlier mentioned i was on the phone constantly with custmer service for 2 days stright trying to get help with the internet, I gave up day 3, and today was AMAZING! 1 person, and he finally handeled all my issues and concerns and problems! i must of talked with 15-20 ppl who couldn't help me/call me back/ or pick up the phone.. so today i finally can watch shows, use the voice on my remote connect family members to vudu, use my LAPTOP I just today got back from the PC guys, and relax, with no real issues besides random WiFi connection drops, condition still Unknown, this also happened while on the phone with the rep, he couldnt what caused it.

But I Swear, all it took was 1 Person to finally let me feel more relaxed and secure, in useing Xfinity services, I was ready to return everything and cancell everything if i got left on hold/transfer call again.

so Right now I thank you trying to help, but as in everything that happens if i didnt keep trying researching and reaching out, nothing would of never succeded and been resolved. And if at all possible I gave the servace rep 5 star review, but I fully believe he (only him) deserves a huge raise, even corprate type promotion. 

Capture.PNG
Frequent Visitor

The security protocals are set to low, and I am not Tech expert but i can have anywhere to from 4-17 devices connected to my network at once, I've labed all of them, who ever was on is still logged with the Xfi app, but is no longer on 10.0.0.1, i beleive but they were there before the Xfi app finished the full setup / boot on my phone, 

I up loaded a picture of attempts on just my xfinity firewall.... McAfee had also blocked over 1k in 4 hours i've gotten my laptop back.  So i couldn't do a "setup" on any type of device but a cell phone, .... with no wifi untill the setup was complete. I think theres a flaw there somewhere because thats how I caught them.

And I belive I mentioned i was NOT told about 10.0.0.1, untill my 3rd call for assastance in secureing my wifi from further more aggresive attacks. I mean i had Just put in, and it took 3 hours to be told this... 

Symptoms, Were. (they have mostly subsided) slow to infrequient connections, ranges dropping and returning, intrentet speeds all over the place, I could barely use the High speed internet Blast Pro, non Promo price, internet i paid for, As earlier mentioned i was on the phone constantly with custmer service for 2 days stright trying to get help with the internet, I gave up day 3, and today was AMAZING! 1 person, and he finally handeled all my issues and concerns and problems! i must of talked with 15-20 ppl who couldn't help me/call me back/ or pick up the phone.. so today i finally can watch shows, use the voice on my remote connect family members to vudu, use my LAPTOP I just today got back from the PC guys, and relax, with no real issues besides random WiFi connection drops, condition still Unknown, this also happened while on the phone with the rep, he couldnt what caused it.

But I Swear, all it took was 1 Person to finally let me feel more relaxed and secure, in useing Xfinity services, I was ready to return everything and cancell everything if i got left on hold/transfer call again.

so Right now I thank you trying to help, but as in everything that happens if i didnt keep trying researching and reaching out, nothing would of never succeded and been resolved. And if at all possible I gave the servace rep 5 star review, but I fully believe he (only him) deserves a huge raise, even corprate type promotion. 

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
Official Employee

Bryan35, thanks for posting. This sound more like signal issues affecting your connectivity rather than a hack attempt. As nerdburg mentioned, we do have automatic systems in place to protect you. Additionally, XFINITY internet customers get the Norton Security Suite for free: 

"Xfinity Internet customers can get the top-rated Norton Security Suite ($39.99 value) at no additional cost.Norton Security Suite is powered by Norton 360 Technology. Norton Security Suite combines our five patented layers of protection with automated backup, PC tune-up tools to help keep you safe when you go online and protect your files from loss. It is superior online protection that won't slow down the user."

You can download it here: 

I am glad to hear your issues were resolved. Please feel free to take advantage of Norton with the links I posted above. Have a good week.

KenF

Frequent Visitor

OK, so about 90% of all my problems were from the NEW Wireless Gateway, Provided by Comcast/Xfinity. it seemed even with Their services being down, the helper though the phone heard i was barely hitting 40mbs download & 11mbs upload, when my phone was getting around 140DL, and 28UL, both on the same WiFi network just different GHz ranges, because one would'nt range would'nt let my laptop connect to it, he had to it through the phone, but I HARD RESET the gateway, and he re-setup everything on his side somehow, and now everything is working!!! my issues with service, speed, connection, and protection have all finally been settled it started on 02/08/18, and is finally concluding on the 02/19/18, and how great it is, when the people you call DON'T act "with-in" Expected protocol, and Instead HELP the person on the other end! this was REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE, finally... So on a personal note* Thank you JACOB, from Comcast for Exceptional work, and listening skills with a little problem solving he fixed a simple yet complicated issue, 

The Norton 360 suite would have been great if advertised when i first had gotten internet, or even on the front of a monthly bill as a "friendly reminder" of Free or additional services Comcast offers with subscriptions to their products, IE.., TV, Internet, Voice, and now Mobile. which i was looking into, until i found out i cant bring over my OnePlus phone, =( sad day.   

But needless to say I pray that i don't have any more Service issues, because this has completely ruined my faith in 90% of this Provider.. and if I could have, I would of already switched providers, but luckily my apartment complex is'nt set up for the other 3 providers in town. what luck.