Community Forum

Missing service center location

New Poster

Missing service center location

My local Comcast service center does not show up in the llst of centers & stores, in the Xfinity App, or on the website.  This location has long been THE central hub for local cable TV, even predating Comcast, which has now owned it for about 20 years.   Today, it is a full-service, customer service center;  Xfinity mobile phone retail location;  customer service representative call center;  has several large satellite dishes behind the building;  & also has the parking lot for the area’s service vehicle fleet.    So, given it’s importance, it’s absence from the list of service locations seems absurd.

The Comcast location in question is     5401 Staples Mill Rd,  Richmond, VA  23228

Can this location be added to the database, or a reason for it not being listed, be given ?

Expert

Re: Missing service center location

They have been moving the service centers to more accessible locations like shopping malls. Most likely they plan on eventually moving the service center out of the Staples Mill Rd location. 

I am not an employee.
Gold Problem Solver

@B_CN_ya wrote: ... 5401 Staples Mill Rd,  Richmond, VA  23228 ...

Also: The Google cache page at https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MjYBedEY9CsJ:https://www.xfinity.com/local/va/... includes this note:

The Xfinity Store located at 5401 Staples Mill Road, Richmond VA 23228 is permanently CLOSED. All customer traffic needs to be directed to the NEW Green Gate XFINITY Store located at: 12241 W Broad Street, Henrico VA 23233.

See https://www.xfinity.com/local/va/henrico/12241-w-broad-st.html.

New Poster

Thanks,  It turns out you’re correct.  My new bill statement just arrived, & includes a note about this location now being closed, ( & replaced by a location a good bit further away),   I was there less than 2 weeks ago, they had to know it was closing.  Would have been nice to be informed then, at least have a sign on the door or something.

Contributor

It was nice of them to not notify us that the Staples Mill location (the one that was closest to my house) was closing. I ended up there today completely unaware it was closed. It is still the Xfinity HQ (main headend) for this side of the river, but the closing of the store was a stupid move. They moved it miles away. And finding the new one was no picnic, as Xfinity hides all their phone numbers to their stores, so I could call no one to ask exactly where it was. Verizon does not do that, which is one reason Xfinity will never be my cell phone provider (I was pounced on to try and upsell me today). Sure the store is still open on the Boulevard if you like an area with no parking and wondering if you will be mugged.

Admin1

Hi Zystus -- We do send notifications about store closures. We send them out in your billing statements. A notification was sent out in the March statements for any account that was in this store's footprint. The notification said the following:

• Important Information: The XFINITY Store located at 5401 Staples Mill Road, Richmond, VA 23228 is Closed Now. Payments, equipment exchanges and other transactions can be made at our new Green Gate XFINITY Store located at: 12241 W. Broad Street, Henrico, VA 23233. Hours of operations are: Monday-Saturday 9:00am-7:00pm, Sundays 12:00pm-5:00pm. Payments can also be made online at www.xfinity.com/myaccount, using the XFINITY My Account app on your mobile device, by mail to the address listed on your bill's payment stub, by phone at 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489), and by Western Union. Equipment can also be returned to your nearest The UPS Store located at 7330 Staples Mill Road, Richmond, VA 23228.
New Poster

That Comcast finds it to be sufficient to inform customers in the area served by a particular location, of the location’s now closed status, & to do so only in regular billing statements, after the fact, is telling of & belies, Comcast’s supposed commitment to better customer service.   A notice of the upcoming closure, posted on the location’s customer entrance, as well as advanced notice of the closure in billing statements, would have been far more appropriate, and considerate, of customers.  Furthermore, the “new” location being recomended is quite a distance from me, & the other locaion is parking deficient, and in an unsafe area.   Way to go Comcast ...

Contributor

Thanks, I'll look at my bills more closely. The new replacement store is much smaller that what was on Staples Mill Road, and has turned a 15 min drive into a 25 minute one for me, as I would never go down into the area where the "still open" closer store is located. There were no other customers in the store. As soon as they could not upsell me on something, even though I was still asking questions, they herded me out the door (literally walked to it and opened it to get me to go, while I was still asking questions). The employee who worked with me never smiled once, and offered no information when I asked about current specials.  She was highly focused on my cell phone and getting me to drop Verizon. I have three or four Verizon stores within 10-15 minutes of my house if I need help and a 25% discount through work.  All in all, is was not a good first impression of the new 12241 West Broad St. store.

I have found out through a reliable source that they closed the store on Staples Mill basically because they believe there is more money to be made in the far West End than the middle of town.  How far the people in the far East End of Henrico and Hanover counties have to go to get to an Xfinity store is just criminal.  Then again, I think they have Verizon Fios in Henrico, so they may just go more for that in that area of town.

Contributor

Nerdburg: They need to add more stores if they expect to compete with Verizon. And put up the stores direct phone numbers so you can call if you are lost or just want to know if it is currently very busy. I can do this with Verizon all the time. They do not hide behind a nationwide 800 number that usually goes overseas.

Contributor

To B_CN_ya: There are other things as well. I had a guy turn up (unannounced) to install a filter the other day.  Turned out he installed it on my neighbor's house. He then had to take it off and come over. The thing is, with my wiring, it required access to my crawl space to install it. But they did not notify me, call ahead or anything. Just showed up....at the wrong house. Had I not been here, he would have just installed the second Moca filter on my neighbor's installation, probably messing things up, and at minimum, adding probably a 1.5 to 2 dB signal strength extra loss.

To top it all off, I found out in the end there was an error in the computer for my record and they never should have needed to come here in the first place.

I will say that my new modem would not work and someone in upper tech support helped me later the next day to get it working. It took them about 45 minutes and a call back to me in order to get things working. The tech on the phone was quite flummoxed as the system would not let him do what he needed to. He had to go somewhere else to get things straight and then call me back. He used to be a service tech and really wants to go back out in the field. Hope they let him -- he seems to be one of those people like a dog with a bone; he keeps at it until it works.