Community Forum

Loud low vibrational buzzing hum throughout our duplex

Regular Visitor

Loud low vibrational buzzing hum throughout our duplex

Hi,

I’m at a loss here. I need serious help.

I have been living in a duplex for going on 8 years. I have had 3 sets next door neighbors and never had a problem with their internet/modem/ signal... ever. I have a new next door neighbor that moved in Jan 2018 and feb 10th, she decided to get Comcast Internet service. Every since feb 10th. I have been hearing a low and loud vibrational buzzing sound that incases our duplex. Inside and outside ( most inside though ). This sound goes through my body. It’s horrible. I have developed ringing my ear shortly after she got her internet service. It’s so buzzy bad that I don’t sleep in my bedroom. Why? Because her modem in her bedroom is parallel to mine so its most strong there but I looked at her modem and it’s quiet. She’s had Comcast to service her home and the rep said nothing was wrong. I did the same thing -calling and come out. After many tests done by my friend that has a electrical engineering background, he determined, after a few sound and vibrational tests done, that the low and loud buzzing noise is coming from the category of Comcast. Sub -category? We’re not sure where the low buzz noise is coming from. It’s either the modem itself that is causing it (something inside the modem maybe) , the WiFi, the WiFi is too strong etc? Both my neighbor and I were on a dual band-5.1 and 2.4 bands and my friend had us both go down to 2.4 band only and see what that would do. It helped a little as the buzz used to have harmonics in it but now that we both went down to 2.4, I can still hear a slight harmonic but mostly the basic low loud buzz vibrational hum is still very much present. My other friend came over and listened to this hum and she said it was horrible too and she ran out of my house to ground herself. This has gone on for 2 months and I can’t take it anymore! I have called Comcast several times and with no success. Please help me resolve this please! Would be most grateful!

Thank you,
Tiger88
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Loud low vibrational buzzing hum throughout our duplex

The only way to prove that the wireless modem is the cause is to turn off the modem and see if the hum is gone. 

Regular Visitor

Hi Barbie,

Been there, done that. I should of been more clear. And after I wrote in the forum, i did more research and I’m pretty sure it’s the WiFi signal that is the prob.
Regular Visitor

Ps: Barbie-And I’m trying to figure out a way to test to see if the WiFi signal is the cause rather than turning off my neighbor’s Comcast service
Expert

A modem is just a radio tuner, no different than the radio in your car or a TV tuner. The router broadcasts low energy radio (RF) just like millions of other devices such as baby monitors, garage door openers, and cordless phones. The energy produced by these devices are low energy radio waves, which lack the kinetic energy to produce audible signals. In order for these devices to produce what you are describing, they would literally have to break the laws of physics. You'll probably want to investigate other possibilities besides these devices.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Many people claim to have a sensitivity to wifi signals.It is a thing. But you said you had wifi for many years without a problem. If you are saying that only your new neighbors wifi may be causing an issue,you will have to eliminate that one to see if it helps. I do not know of any wifi test that could show if it is bothering you.

Regular Visitor

As far as I know, I can’t eliminate signal without turning off her service. I’m still researching and maybe there Is a work around.
Silver Problem Solver

You do not have to turn off their service. Just ask them to unplug the wifi for a few minutes to see it it helps.

Regular Visitor

There a real legitimate reason I’m concerned and no laughing matter. I had a life threatening surgery when I was a child and there was mental placed in my body which Is now affecting the WiFi signal-Radio freqs and health, thanks to the WiFi society. Humans are smart. I need someone that has background to invent a low radiation/low signal to noise ratio/low WiFi interference /quiet-no hum WiFi signal router. Quality of life has greatly disminidhed here. I am one that is WiFi allergic and I’m surprised Comcast has not figure out yet that some people are WiFi allergic. I predict, thst as the years go on, more and more people will become WiFi allergic even though they can’t hear the signal as I do.
Expert

@Nerdburg wrote:

A modem is just a radio tuner, no different than the radio in your car or a TV tuner. The router broadcasts low energy radio (RF) just like millions of other devices such as baby monitors, garage door openers, and cordless phones. The energy produced by these devices are low energy radio waves, which lack the kinetic energy to produce audible signals. In order for these devices to produce what you are describing, they would literally have to break the laws of physics. You'll probably want to investigate other possibilities besides these devices.

You are talking about the devices receiving the signal: TV, laptop, smart-phones, Kindles, etc. In order to make use of these devices the neighbor must be using the Comcast Xi5 gateway (or possibly her own WiFi modem) which is transmitting the Internet signal to her devices.

Turning off the box for a short time should stop the problem as Barbie first stated. Disconnecting the box from the Comcast cable should work too. If the problem does not stop the OP must look elsewhere for the cause. Using Either-net cables for computer connection, or other devices, and getting rid of WiFi cable-box by the the neighbor may end the problem.

I will assume the neighbor has never used WiFi in his house, or possibly a microwave oven, or cordless phones in his house. On re-read I see the OP does use Wi-fi also. Someone should move the Wi-Fi box to a different location. Maybe they should see location or frequency of new neighbor's cordless phone transmitter if one is used.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Nerdburg wrote:

You are talking about the devices receiving the signal: TV, laptop, smart-phones, Kindles, etc. In order to make use of these devices the neighbor must be using the Comcast Xi5 gateway (or possibly her own WiFi modem) which is transmitting the Internet signal to her devices. 

I was talking about modems --they don't broadcast anything OTA. I also mentioned routers which do broadcast radio signals. 

Expert

@Spirit88 wrote:
There a real legitimate reason I’m concerned and no laughing matter. I had a life threatening surgery when I was a child and there was mental placed in my body which Is now affecting the WiFi signal-Radio freqs and health, thanks to the WiFi society. Humans are smart. I need someone that has background to invent a low radiation/low signal to noise ratio/low WiFi interference /quiet-no hum WiFi signal router. Quality of life has greatly disminidhed here. I am one that is WiFi allergic and I’m surprised Comcast has not figure out yet that some people are WiFi allergic. I predict, thst as the years go on, more and more people will become WiFi allergic even though they can’t hear the signal as I do.

There are thousands of radio transmissions around you at any given moment. I wonder why they don't trigger your Wi-Fi allergy? There are 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz transmissions just about everywhere anymore, you would think they would have the same effect since they are the same frequency? Something like an FM radio station or a cellular tower produces significantly more powerful radio waves, I wonder why they don't cause a problem? If you find a solution, please let us know. Best of luck! Smiley Happy

Expert

The hum could come from any number of sources, such as a floor fan, de/humidifier, etc. so it's not necessarily caused by wifi or anything internet related.

Your best bet is to talk with your neighbors about the "hum", not necessarily mentioning anything about wifi or internet, and ask them if they have anything set up that could cause a "hum" and "vibration" that you would be able to hear and feel.

Your health isn't being affected by some "imagined" wifi [at this point] problem, but by the anxiety and stress that this hum is causing you.  Until you talk with your neighbor to eliminate or confirm that this hum is being caused by something in their home, you won't be able to relax.  FWIW, your microwave oven is probably more damaging to your health with that "metal" in your body than anything else, which is why convenience stores have a disclaimer posted at the door that microwave ovens are in use.

There isn't anything anyone here can do to help you.  We can't talk with your neighbor to find out what is causing this problem.

Expert

The OP mentioned the noise was heard in his side of duplex. His Wi-fi router may be going bad.

Have any wide area Wi-Fi towers, or Cell-phone towers been built near his home? Any new businesses using transmitters truck communications near him? Maybe it is time to get his hearing checked.

Regular Visitor

MNtundtaNET<br><br>Hi, thank you for your positive helpful suggestions instead of shutting down possibilities. <br><br>So, if it WAS her router that was bad, wouldn’t u hear something at the router itself? <br><br>Unfortunately neighbor has tinnitus and don’t hear what I hear. I have had older people, in their 70-80 age range and don’t hear what I hear. Possibly over time, their hearing ability decreases with age. However I had another friend, same age as I , and could it clearly and was shocked that other people could NOT hear it! <br><br>It wasn’t you MNtundta, but for other people who have commented, I would love it if you give me positive suggestions instead absolutely shutting down the possibility of being Comcast. If it talks like a WiFi duck and walks like a duck , it’s a duck. This is what the thing most point to but I Comcast said, they can not completely turn off service temporarily to test until the service was permenant of course
Expert

@Spirit88 wrote:
MNtundtaNET<br><br>Hi, thank you for your positive helpful suggestions instead of shutting down possibilities. <br><br>So, if it WAS her router that was bad, wouldn’t u hear something at the router itself? <br><br>Unfortunately neighbor has tinnitus and don’t hear what I hear. I have had older people, in their 70-80 age range and don’t hear what I hear. Possibly over time, their hearing ability decreases with age. However I had another friend, same age as I , and could it clearly and was shocked that other people could NOT hear it! <br><br>It wasn’t you MNtundta, but for other people who have commented, I would love it if you give me positive suggestions instead absolutely shutting down the possibility of being Comcast. If it talks like a WiFi duck and walks like a duck , it’s a duck. This is what the thing most point to but I Comcast said, they can not completely turn off service temporarily to test until the service was permenant of course

There is a couple things that weren't mentioned yet. Have you possibly replaced any of your old incandescent light bulbs with either the florescent type or LED type of bulb? Either type can cause video interference, or audio (humming) interference with TV or radio speakers.  I was serious about your hearing since changes can be caused by high-blood pressure.

Also; just having the neighbor's cable-box unplugged and no coaxial cable connected is all that is necessary to prove it is not Comcast's fault. If you still hear the noise at this point it is something else.

Regular Visitor

This is a modem /WiFi signal issue. She doesn’t have cable in her Comcast plan.
Expert

@Spirit88 wrote:
This is a modem /WiFi signal issue. She doesn’t have cable in her Comcast plan.

As I stated. If this box (modem/Wifi) is unplugged and cable not attached, there is no way it can cause your problem.