Community Forum

Limited Basic - HD Technology Fee

Regular Visitor

Limited Basic - HD Technology Fee

I have had Limited Basic cable service for the past 18 months.  I have always received HD channels without paying the HD Technology Fee.  When I originally subscribed, I was told that the HD Technology Fee did not need to be charged w/ Limited Basic cable.  Yesterday, I stopped receiving access the HD channels.  After calling customer service, I was told I would need to pay the $9.95/month fee to continue receiving HD Channels - and that I never should I have received them in the past.

Can a Comcast rep please clarify?

Expert

Re: Limited Basic - HD Technology Fee

@dan173 wrote:

I have had Limited Basic cable service for the past 18 months.  I have always received HD channels without paying the HD Technology Fee.  When I originally subscribed, I was told that the HD Technology Fee did not need to be charged w/ Limited Basic cable.  Yesterday, I stopped receiving access the HD channels.  After calling customer service, I was told I would need to pay the $9.95/month fee to continue receiving HD Channels - and that I never should I have received them in the past.

Can a Comcast rep please clarify?

I just checked the last price list mailed to me in my service area (mid March 2017 billing). The note in the fine print stated needing HD cable-box and paying the HD technology fee. So what they just told you was correct. And employees can make mistakes. It seems your service was not set up correctly in your service area back when you signed up. I guess you got lucky.

Expert

Yeah, I just have limited basic with HD and they charge me the fee too. 😡

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

The fine print on the most recent rate card/channel list states: “Except for limited basic only customers, HD programming requires subscription to HD technology fee”.

I read this to say you don’t need the $9.95 fee with Limited Basic, but each rep I’ve spoken with tells me otherwise.
Frequent Visitor

They've reworded it on the July 1, 2018 billing insert.

Footnote 6 for the HD Technology Fee reads:
Not available to customers with Limited Basic only. Must subscribe to HD Technology Fee to receive HD programming.

To me this still reads that HD must be included on the Limited Basic tier. Especially when my channel lineup shows it. If the HD Tech fee isn't available, it's because I don't need it.

Expert

@DJSpencer wrote:

They've reworded it on the July 1, 2018 billing insert.

Footnote 6 for the HD Technology Fee reads:
Not available to customers with Limited Basic only. Must subscribe to HD Technology Fee to receive HD programming.

To me this still reads that HD must be included on the Limited Basic tier. Especially when my channel lineup shows it. If the HD Tech fee isn't available, it's because I don't need it.

It means the Limited Basic tier comes with a small cable-box only capable of SD (4:3) programing. Same as originally posted. If you have an HD Television (16:9) you could upgrade to a HD cable-box, and pay the HD fee to get some HD programing. If you happen to have a Comcast cable-box capable of receiving HD, either pay the fee, or exchange the box for SD box to avoid the fee.

Government regulations changed a few years ago. 

Frequent Visitor

I actually do get HD (for the moment) via my TiVo Box with cable card. So it's accurate in that sense, but Xfinity Stream no longer offers HD feeds without the fee. That's just absurd.

Also, this is written at the bottom of the last page on my billing statement:
6jbc0IZC.jpg

Government regulations or not, Comcast/Xfinity isn't honoring their own statements if they took HD away from Limited Basic Only subscribers. You know, unless the definition of "except" has changed lately.

Expert

@DJSpencer wrote:

I actually do get HD (for the moment) via my TiVo Box with cable card. So it's accurate in that sense, but Xfinity Stream no longer offers HD feeds without the fee. That's just absurd.

Also, this is written at the bottom of the last page on my billing statement:
6jbc0IZC.jpg

Government regulations or not, Comcast/Xfinity isn't honoring their own statements if they took HD away from Limited Basic Only subscribers. You know, unless the definition of "except" has changed lately.

Hopefully some Comcast employee (on forum) will reply and explain what you are showing here.