Community Forum

Last Straw

Regular Visitor

Last Straw

After a nearly wasted chat with customer service and the rep's inability to answer questions, we cancelled all but our net service last night. After over 20 years, enough was finally enough. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was the Comcast response to an unreturned modem. Here's the story: Several years ago we received a new modem  with a notation that the then present modem (RCA Thomson DHG 535 received sometime around 2012) would not be compatable with the system. There was no guidance on what to do with the "old" RCA Thomson modem, nothing about returning it or dropping off at UPS etc. It finally disappeared in the house or was recycled.

On 3 Jan 2018, our new bill had an $11 charge for unreturned equipment, Yep, several years later, the outdated RCA raised its ugly head. The gist of the customer service call was that the agent could not or would not tell me what the "lost item" cost of the modem was. I was willing to pay any reasonbable lost equipment fee. I directly asked several times that, if the modem was lost and I could not physically return it and Comcast could not advise of the lost item cost, if it was Comcast's intent to charge $11 monthly forever. The rep replied that I would be charged forever! (No, I am not making this up!)

Now, a Comcast team is researching the lost item and will reply in two weeks (or at least another billing cycle.) I expect their review to determine that my "fee" will be the suggested retail price of the item when it was new. 

I'm also amazed that the RCA Thomson no longer shows onthe Comcast site as available for use but they say they will charge me forever over outdated hardware that I was willing to pay for. I can't find the darn thing on Amazon but ebay has them for $15-20 used. So aftter two additional billing cycles, Comcast will make more money, not evn counting the rental fee for several years.

It takes a lot to irritate me but this experience took the cake. 

I cancelled all but the Comcast internet. After I get WOW installed and notify everyone of e-mail address changes, I'll be through with Comcast.

And it is all over $11....sigh.

Official Employee

Re: Last Straw

Hello mlight. If you need assistance with checking on the equipment research ticket that was opened, I can help. I am sorry to hear you've chosen to cancel service. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to change your mind. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you.