Community Forum

Laptop and Wi-Fi cable box still losing signal or dropping. ON VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN...

Frequent Visitor

Laptop and Wi-Fi cable box still losing signal or dropping. ON VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN...

I know the nervous breakdown part seems a little over the top, but I am literally at my wit's end here. Here is the situation in a few bullet points.

• Had complete Xfinity install on 04/28/2018. Triple play w/ Home Security.
  • 7 devices, 4 hard-wired, 2 wireless cable boxes + newest Wi-Fi modem. (ARRIS Group, Inc. TG3482G)
  • No issues with hard-wired devices at all.
  • I have been locking up and/or dropping signal in the Den which has a wireless cable box and where my work from home office is with my laptop. This has happened since install on day one. On occasion, I may go for a few hours without issue, but the rest of the time, I have to reset my laptop Wi-fi adapter over and over. It is not the adapter as I travel and have zero issues elsewhere. As I said before, it is more than embarrassing being on Skype calls as the host and just dropping off over and over.
  • I have made dozens of calls, countless chats, texts to Tech Supervisors and even contact with Comcast Executive Care team. Techs have been here 5 times and can still not figure out why this is happening.
  • The last tech suggested I try PODS to "even out" the network. After 4 attempts to order (including one where they sent me a new cable box!) I finally received them 2 days ago.
  • If anything, I think they may have made things worse. Now my Den keeps actually connecting to the poorest signal POD in the house! Is there a way to dictate or assign which POD my Den hooks up to? The other 2 say "Great Signal",  but this one says "Fair".
  • Maybe I am a moron, but in this day of technology, how hard can this be? The only thing that made sense recently was another tech suggested running a hard wire cable outlet into this room. Of course, they can't do that, and my electrician want's over $1800 to do it which I don't currently have. Actually, I do, but it's the principle now! I simply refuse to believe there is not a way for this to work. My den is literally less than 30' away from the router, and 15' from the nearest POD.

So back to my question mixed in there somewhere. Is there a way to assign the devices in my Den to one of the other PODS? And even if possible, will it help?

Just so you know. As a temporary solution to my work issue, I went a bought a Verizon Jetpack to at least have a stable cellular wi-fi signal to be able to work. Albeit very slowly...

What am I missing here????????????????? Why is this so difficult? Do I have a Poltergeist or Ghost in the house? The frustration I have is beyond belief now. Especially since I have been a Comcast customer for over 20 years.

Expert

Re: Laptop and Wi-Fi cable box still losing signal or dropping. ON VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN...

Thank you for visiting the forums! Sorry to hear about your issues. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Official Employee

Re: Laptop and Wi-Fi cable box still losing signal or dropping. ON VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN...

aj2451, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are experiencing a few issues with WiFi proximity and interference. While installing a new cable outlet would include a wall fish (which tech no longer do), that is a viable option. If you have an office in your home, I highly recommend hardwired your computer to the modem rather than using wiFi. How far is your modem from the den? 

Please send me a private message so I can continue helping you there. I can check out any signal issues with your xFi pods or your modem. Just included your full name and phone number. 

Kenf

Valued Contributor

Normally I would still push that it is your adapter because the PODS not helping, and connecting to the poorest signal pods itself.. But if your wireless cable box is giving you similar issues, it may be interference as suggested. Alot of things can cause this, old mirrors, baby monitors, holiday decorations.. etc. That is a very high priced line run you were quoted. You could literally just run an ethernet line yourself for next to nothing. I understand you may not want to do this, but the interference could be something structrual(sp?) EDIT: You could also test for wifi interference yourself, try googling wifi interference test && There is alot of good info on there that could help you EDIT 2: You can adjust your home network, if you are tech savvy. Different channels, etc.