Community Forum

Keep Getting Erroneous Charges to My Visa Card

Frequent Visitor

Keep Getting Erroneous Charges to My Visa Card

I keep seeing erroneous charges on against my Visa card.  I use the Comcast auto-pay feature to pay my bill with my Visa card.  And this has worked well for many months.  For the last 3 months I'm seeing my correct monthly billing amount AND other charges that don't belong to me.  The Visa card company cancelled my card and issued new cards.  Then I updated the Comcast auto-pay with the new card info.  And these erroneous charges continue.

I suspect that Comcast billing is charging my Visa card for someone else's services.  I took my documentation into a local Comcast office and they opened an escalation ticket (46165011) to investigate.  A Comcast rep called and said the only thing I can do is dispute the charges with the Visa folks.

I asked if I could talk to an internal Comcast billing analyst and was told that would not be possible.  I think if I could talk to someone who knew the internals of the billing system we could track these charges to the source.  This is not a VISA problem - these are legit charges coming from the Comcast billing system.  

To date here are the erroneous charges:

1/24/18 $147.66

3/1/18  $140.86
3/29/18 $29.36

I have opened a dispute case through the Visa card company and can share that case number in PM.

Bill

PS:  I talked to Visa people yesterday and they report that it looks like another erroneous charge is coming through - it's in pending now.

Expert

Re: Keep Getting Erroneous Charges to My Visa Card

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks,

Bill

Official Employee

Hi, N7HWJ - Per my understanding, you see these erroneous charges on your bank statement but not on the billing statement from Comcast, correct? If somebody has your checking/savings account information, the card swap won't help. Even if your case would be escalated to a billing system analyst, how would we able to prove that person stole your information? The bank information can be hacked as well. I personally had a situation when my debit card got charged by somebody else at the store (not online) when I physically had that card in my wallet. 

Frequent Visitor

I think you have it correct but it's not a bank checking/saving account, it's a Visa credit card account.

When this first happened in January, the Visa credit card folks cancelled the first card and issued a new card/new number.  About 2 weeks later, I was able to update the Comcast auto-pay system to reflect my new Visa card number.

Then on 3/1/18 I got a new legit charge to the new credit card number for $140.86, followed by another erroneous charge for 3/29/18 for $29.36.

Update, on 4/28/18, I saw my legit Comcast Visa payment being applied for $140.05.  The following day, 4/29/18, another erroneous charge came through from Comcast for $67.58.

What I am saying is that the $67.58 is landing somewhere in the Comcast financial system - it's being applied to some account.  Can't Comcast financial folks see where the money is going?

Bill 

Expert

@N7HWJ wrote:

I think you have it correct but it's not a bank checking/saving account, it's a Visa credit card account.

When this first happened in January, the Visa credit card folks cancelled the first card and issued a new card/new number.  About 2 weeks later, I was able to update the Comcast auto-pay system to reflect my new Visa card number.

Then on 3/1/18 I got a new legit charge to the new credit card number for $140.86, followed by another erroneous charge for 3/29/18 for $29.36.

Update, on 4/28/18, I saw my legit Comcast Visa payment being applied for $140.05.  The following day, 4/29/18, another erroneous charge came through from Comcast for $67.58.

What I am saying is that the $67.58 is landing somewhere in the Comcast financial system - it's being applied to some account.  Can't Comcast financial folks see where the money is going?

Bill 

Have you changed your password?  If not, you need to do so.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

@N7HWJ - Even if the billing system analyst could see where the money is going - we won't be able to share this information. What does it say on your billing statement from your bank? Does it just say Comcast? Also, try to change the password (thank you @Again for the advice).  

Frequent Visitor

Changed my password.

According to the Visa folks the erroneous charges are coming from Comcast.

My legit charge says it's coming from COMCAST CABLE COMM 800-COMCAST WA

The erroneous charge says it's coming from COMCAST CABLE COMM 800-COMCAST WA

The erroneous charge from back in Jan says it's coming from  COMCAST BELLINGH CS 1X 800-266-2278 WA

I really don't expect the Comcast financial analyst to share with me the account where my money is going - I just want them to track it enough to see that it's not me and take corrective action.

Bill

Silver Problem Solver

As I said before, and it was deleted, stop using autopay and your problem will be instantly solved.

Frequent Visitor

@barbie123 wrote:

As I said before, and it was deleted, stop using autopay and your problem will be instantly solved.

Not sure if you were just joking about not using auto-pay but that is always an option.  

I've just gotten so spoiled  by auto-pay that I use it for everything from medical insurance to the water bill - I hate to give it up but you are right that's an option.

I'm glad I did not give Comcast my bank account number and routing - that would have been very much more difficult to change if those account numbers were breached.

Bill

@barbie123
Admin1

N7HWJ -- Thank you for providing this information. We'll need to get this over to our finance team for further research. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either account number or linked phone number for authentication. 

Frequent Visitor

PM Sent 

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Bill

Admin1

N7HWJ -- I received your PM. Thank you for send that information. I have sent the contents of your posts to our local finance team. An agent will get in contact with you to get this resolved.