Community Forum

Issues with installing gig service

New Poster

Issues with installing gig service

I just don't understand how something so easy as setting up a service tech to install gig service can get so incredibly messed up that it requires hours upon hours of my life to correct it.

I contacted xfinity through chat support back at the end of February regarding quite a bit of lagging with my internet speed. I really just wanted to know what options I had for upgrading and what the prices were. After going through the entire verification process the support tech said "your in luck! We can upgrade you to xfinity gig service for an extra $20 bucks per month!".... Ok, $20 bucks isn't gonna break me,and gig service was more than enough speed than what I needed. So I went ahead and signed up for the closest date when I'd be home from work. I was told a tech would contact me that morning. That morning came. I kept my schedule open and waited. No call. Finally I called xfinity. I was then told that I have no active service appointments. Hmm. Ok? I explained to the support tech that I called the entire conversation and even offered to send a copy of the chat from the conversation I had while setting up the service. I was told that I'd have to reach out to the chat support team because the support tech I called does not have access to anything the chat support teams set up or access to their chat transcripts. Sigh. Ok. I then went back in chat support and once again, verify all my info. I then discover that whoever set up the order for gig service failed to follow through and complete the order so nobody was scheduled to come out. However, my issue was being "escalated" and someone would be calling me "very soon"... 3 hours later. No call. I get back on chat support.... Again, verifying all my info. And start getting a little angry. I go through the entire order process again. Verify a brand new install date. Save the transcripts of the conversation and then wait another 4 days for a tech. Tech comes out. Installs equipment. Service seems ok. But I start doing speed tests and discover that although the service is faster. It's not even up to 500mbps. And that's without anyone connected to wifi and only connected through an ethernet connection. Ok, I once again go through chat support. Go through the entire verification process. Tech runs some tests. Asks some standard questions and decides another tech has to come by. I set up the date. Clear my schedule for my morning off work and discover a cat 6e cord should be used. Not a cat 5 or cat 6 ethernet cord. Tech fixes the issue and life goes on.

Then today since the weather has warmed up I go out to the back of the yard and discover an orange cable Thats been connected from the cable box in the very back corner of my yard and runs about 100ft from an open, un-secured tele-com cable box, the perimeter of the fence all the way to the house and against the foundation right up to the xfinity service box and plugged into the xfinity connection. I'm left assuming that when I have to cut the grass and use the weed trimmer that the technician thinks I should just move this cable out of the way and cut around it? It's the silliest thing I've ever seen with a cable/internet installation.

Once again, I get on chat support. Chat with internet support and am told I need to schedule another tech visit so someone can come out and bury the cable. Great. Another day off spent scheduling what I have to do waiting here for a technician. I schedule everything and say really, at this point, want some sort of a credit because dealing with all of this has gotten ridiculous. I get transferred to billing. Once again, verifying all of my information.. Again. Am told I'm a valued customer. How about a $10 credit on my next bill? I was like, really? I've wasted at this point more than 8 hrs chatting with support over this one issue. Not to mention the amount of time I've spent scheduling my days off around tech visits and techs not showing up and now I'm having to reach out to you guys and inform you that there's a 100 ft cable running across my yard that may pose a safety hazard. And you offer me a $10 credit? Ok, instead of the credit, we'll remove the charge for a recent movie that you "purchased" not rented. I said fine. Reimburse me for the movie then. They did. And now the purchased movie that we wanted to add to our collection is gone and if we want to watch it again we have to buy it again...... Sigh. What a deal. I ended the conversation with telling the billing support tech that I'm left assuming that someone will be reaching out to me regarding this cable being buried this coming week to verify I'll be here. The support tech looks in my file and says. No I'm sorry I don't have anything scheduled for you but I can transfer you back to an internet support tech and they can get that scheduled for you because an error must have occurred before they transferred you to me. Note - the billing support tech can't help with scheduling burying a cable. She only can help with billing. So again, I'm transferred back to internet support. Again, asked to verify my information. Which I reply, why don't you just read the transcripts from my active chat that's been going on for over an hour and a half. They finally have someone scheduled to come out and bury this cable. At least I think they do. Because you never truly know. You can't make this stuff up. The inconveniences sometimes are incredible. The support staff is friendly and the problems are never the fault of the person your speaking with but for what you pay you'd really think that if xfinity made a mistake like they did with my situation they'd pony up and say "hey, this is on us. We made a mistake. We're going to make this right" but instead I received nothing but a movie rental and hours of my life taken that I'll never get back because I had to mediate the incompetencies of a flawed system with a flawed sense of how to build loyalty. What you have now is someone looking to disconnect from cable altogether.
20180325_150046.jpg
Expert

Re: Issues with installing gig service

It's just a temporary line. The installer should have put in an order to get the line buried, it typically takes around 10 business days, sometimes a little longer. It can't be buried until the utilities are marked. You don't need an appointment to get the line buried and you don't need to be there.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

PS: There is no such thing as Cat 6e

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Re: Issues with installing gig service

Hi Jpn733, 

We don't want to lose you as a customer. I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience you've had and help make it right. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.