Community Forum

Is this a Scam?

Regular Visitor

Is this a Scam?

On January 13 I called Comcast customer service for a problem I was experiencing (some channels were unavailable, some others were scrambled) after a reboot did not solve the problem.  I was told that there was a specific issue with my location - there was a wire that was degrading and thus my location was experiencing some "leakage."  The representative said that I would need a tech to come to my house to address the issue or that I would experience on-going issues with my TV and my internet connection.  I was sceptical - "If it is just a wire at my house, can I replace it myself"? and was told no, a tech should be dispatched.  We set up an appointment for January 17 between 2 and 4pm. Shortly thereafter, I called Customer Service back because I was still unable to watch the Warriors game and I just wanted to see what another rep might say about what was going on.  This rep said there was an outage in my area.  I asked him if that was the case, did I still need a tech to come over?  Was told Yes.  Shortly thereafter, the problem I was having resolved itself.  And the Warriors beat the Raptors :-)

On January 17, having taken the afternoon off work, I was waiting for the technician to arrive when I received a voice mail at 3:30 from "Tricia" at Comcast informing me that my technician was delayed and would arrive at around 4:30.  Since I was having people over at around 5, I took the opportunity to run out to the store.  I arrived back home at 4:05 only to get an automated voice message saying that the tech showed up at 3:55 and left because I wasn't there.  "Please call back to reschedule if you are still experiencing an issue."

Well, that was annoying.  I never would have left if I hadn't received the message that they were running late.  Waste of an afternoon.  I was kind of upset, call Customer Service, explained the situation. Do I really need somebody to still come out?  Was told yes.  Set up an appointment for today, January 22, between 12-2. Took the afternoon off to wait. (What's all the BS from Asha saying they accommodate my schedule, not the other way around?) I got a text message at 1:39 saying the tech was delayed.  I stayed put.  Good thing I did because he showed up at 1:41.

Mike was a nice guy.  Introduced himself, shook my hand and all that.  He asked me "So what seems to be the problem?"  I told him the sequence of events relayed above.  He said "Well, that's weird.  You are the second person today who told me the same thing."  Said she didn't even call in, Comcast called her and told her she needed a wire replaced.  He said he didn't know what Customer Service was talking about.  He also said that there is no way that they would be able to detect an issue with a wire here at my house from their end.  Took a quick look at my modem and cable box and said they were fine and left.  Apologized for the inconvenice.

What the heck?  I called Customer Service.  Line quality with first rep I spoke with was bad, so I called back.  This time I asked to be transferred to the "complaint department" or to a supervisor.  Was on hold for an "Account Executive" (and everyone knows that is code for "Salesperson") for 10 minutes.  Finally got a guy who listened to my story.  When I was done he asks me "So, your technician did show up today, correct?"  and "So is there still an issue with your TV?"  Clearly missing the whole point.  Then he says, as if reading from some script "Very sorry ma'am for the frustration that you have experienced.  Let's see, your promotion (what promotion?) is due to expire and I can extend it for just a mere...." then started rambling on about bundles and packages and $89.95 and $119.95 and what not.  I suggested that if Comcast wants to do me a favor to make up for my inconvenince, I'd only be too happy, but I am not currently interested in buying something else.  He assured me it was a good deal for me and that he would summarize the numbers in an email.  I hung up (after having been on the phone for a total of 30 minutes) and alas, no email has arrived.

What was that all about?  No one I spoke to seemed to have any idea.  And the way the technician was embarassed about the whole thing makes me suspicious.  At the very least, I am completely underwhelmed by their "customer service".  I would drop them like a hot potato if it were easier to do so.

Expert

Re: Is this a Scam?

Wow, what a saga... But no, it's not a scam. Cable is a closed radio system (RF). Any unwanted radio signals that get into the system is known as "noise" can negatively impact service. "Leakage" can mean radio leaking into the cable system (ingress) or out of the cable system (egress). Comcast monitors their system and if noise is detected they send a tech to mitigate the problem free of charge. If it isn't repaired, it can cause a host of problems for you and other customers.  Leakage typically occurs from open coax outlets, degraded coax, bad fitting or splitters. This is what your tech should have been repairing. Your tech needs some further training.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Official Employee

Hi, finnp99 - My apologies for your experience. As our expert nerdburg mentioned - we can see issues with RF signals but cannot fix them remotely, this is the reason why the first agent set up a tech visit. Please send me your account information (full name, address, phone number) and I would be happy to check the ways to compensate your time and inconvenience. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Hi ComcastElla -

I did as you instructed and clicked on Private Message me, but was taken to a page that apparently shows me a list of private messages that I have already sent (I haven't sent any).  There was also a search box to search the forum.  I did not see the opportunity to send you a message.  Can you help me out here?  Thanks.

Official Employee

@finnp99 - I just sent you a private message, did you get it? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!