Community Forum

Is it at all possible to pay for phone service but not actually provision it?

Frequent Visitor

Is it at all possible to pay for phone service but not actually provision it?

If I have Triple Play but want to use a modem that does not support phone, is there any way to convince Comcast to allow that? Or do they insist that if I buy Triple Play I must actually use a modem that supports phone?

Why would I want to do this? The max internet speed on Double Play packages in my area is half of what it is on Triple Play, which I currently have. Double Play speed can be upgraded for extra cost, but that extra cost is about 50% more than the difference between Double Play and Triple Play costs.

So it seems like a no brainer to stick with Triple Play...except I'm considering dropping my rental modem and buying one of my own. Internet-only modems are a lot cheaper than internet+phone modems.

Valued Contributor

Re: Is it at all possible to pay for phone service but not actually provision it?

Typically, no you can not. When they go to activate your TP plan, the system is going to identify that your modem does not have a phone port to activate, and give an error. I have been through this exact situation before.
Expert

Re: Is it at all possible to pay for phone service but not actually provision it?

What @JLDOOBLY said is correct. They won't let you have voice services w/o a telephony modem. They don't want to charge you for a service you can't use. 

I am not an employee.