Community Forum

Internet keeps going out and modem rebooting

Regular Visitor

Internet keeps going out and modem rebooting

My internet keeps going in and out. This has been happening for over a year. Last year I called customer service and was told the line needed replaced but couldn't do it then because the ground was too cold. Techs also came and looked at the modem. The power lines were marked in the yard and a orange cable was ran from the utility box in the yard to the box on the side of the house. 2018 is when the work was supposed to be done. Came home one day and flags were gone but orange cable was still there. Came home on another day and an Xfinity van with tech was out front. He didn't say anything. The orange cable was gone. I figured the work was completed. However, I didn't receive any notification via home phone, cell phone or the my Xfinity account app. A new Xfinity box was put on the side of the house with wires hanging out. The problem never did stop it just slowed down for a while. Now the internet has started going out and coming back up off and on all day. When this happens the telephone goes out also. I've had plenty of disconnected calls because of this. I was disconnected today while talking to an Xfinity rep. I've made over 4 calls to Xfinity today about this issue. I received a call back from a supervisor which did not help at all. The first call I made the rep put in a request to have tech come tomorrow about problem. She also sthated that when the lines get repaired she assured me that this would be the last time I would call about the issue. She stated the line that connects to the tower/server need to be replaced. This is the same thing I was told last year and what was supposed to be repaired. Obviously it wasn't. One of the reps I talked to named Morgan from Georgia ran a scan on the modem and said it was not fully activated and she would set up from her end. Not sure why because when I got the modem I called the number given and had it set up. She was asking for me to create a new name and password for the modem. I felt uncomfortable about that so I didn't give her that information and when I called the first time to have it set up I was not asked that question. She also did a health check on the modem and it came back normal. After being on the phone with her we were disconnected because the internet went down. However, during our phone call she ask for a call back number in case we get disconnected. I gave her my cell number. She did not call me back. I called again and got a Walter out of North Carolina. He was very rude. When I was telling him what was happening with my internet about being disconnected eariler, he was laughing. He was laughed when I told him the rep, Morgan, didn't call me back and laughed when I told him the internet was up longer when I talked to her before it went down. He didn't ask me any questions, he was very quite on his end. He seemed like he didn't to help. I told him what Morgan had said that the moden wasn't activiated. He said it was full activiated. He also said that it looks like other intermittent issues in my area. I would say that the internet issues I called about last year were not fixed. I kept getting different answers from techs and reps. One person would say what the problem is another would say it's not. I've had this service since 2010 and this problem started a few years ago. Starts out slow and then internet goes down and comes up all day. I can only count the times when I'm on the computer, phone, or streaming to TV. If I'm not doing any of those things it still goes down I just don't know it. My main issue is the phone. If there's an emergency I can't call out. I will say again I don't think the line was replaced when I initially called last year (2017) only a new xfinity box was installed because the problem is still happening.
Expert

Re: Internet keeps going out and modem rebooting

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I am not an employee.
Official Employee

Re: Internet keeps going out and modem rebooting

Hello BLUESKIES_9301. I can assist with further troubleshooting your internet connectivity and speed issues. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full name and account primary number so I can access your account.