Community Forum

Internet essential still only for new customers is terrible

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Internet essential still only for new customers is terrible

The schools are telling everyone to call xfinity for this service as our kids are transitioning to online school. Existing customers are flagged as ineligible. I've attempted to escalate a complaint that this is only available to new customers even though many of us have been laid off and have to care for our kids during the day. Xfinity needs to waive this qualification given the circumstances most Americans are facing.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Internet essential still only for new customers is terrible

@bpark23 wrote:

The schools are telling everyone to call xfinity for this service as our kids are transitioning to online school. Existing customers are flagged as ineligible. I've attempted to escalate a complaint that this is only available to new customers even though many of us have been laid off and have to care for our kids during the day. Xfinity needs to waive this qualification given the circumstances most Americans are facing.

Internet Essentials is for low-income families and has certain specific restrictions.  It isn't meant for something like this crisis.  The schools are giving out misinformation, sorry.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Many families meet the income level but are ineligible because they're not new customers. That's unacceptable during this crisis where many adults have to stay home to supervise their kids learning and can't work.
Highlighted
Expert

@bpark23 wrote:
Many families meet the income level but are ineligible because they're not new customers. That's unacceptable during this crisis where many adults have to stay home to supervise their kids learning and can't work.

I don't think you're quite understanding.  People don't qualify for Internet Essentials just because of Covid-19.  As I said, there are specific requirements in place for Internet Essentials besides low income.

You may qualify if you:

• Are eligible for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, and others.
  • Live in an area where Comcast Internet Service is available.
  • Are not an existing Xfinity Internet customer and have not subscribed to Comcast Internet within the last 90 days.
  • Have no outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than one year old. Families with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.*

*Due to the Coronavirus emergency, households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast may be eligible for Internet Essentials. We are waiving this qualification if you are approved by 5/13/20. After 5/13/20, standard eligibility rules apply.

Note that the last statement does not apply to those who are working at home or current customers.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

You can keep repeating yourself but most people meet every requirement listed above and still can't get because they're an existing customer.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

You can’t meet every requirement and be an existing customer as that’s a requirement(must have no existing internet service). You’re just talking in circles

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If you read my original post which clearly you didn't, I was asking about that requirement being waived during the pandemic for customers who meet all other requirements.
Highlighted
Expert

@bpark23 wrote:
If you read my original post which clearly you didn't, I was asking about that requirement being waived during the pandemic for customers who meet all other requirements.

Since it is a specific program, no, it most likely will not be waived during the pandemic, which is what you've already been told.

The "schools" are giving out misinformation, and Comcast isn't going to make exceptions.

Highlighted
Expert

The answers did resolve your question, you're just not accepting the answers.  Sorry, but this isn't a program that you can utilize through a waiver because of Covid-19.  Covid-19 isn't going to last forever, and Comcast has already made provisions for people who may not be able to pay their bill at this time, which is through the Xfinity Assistance Plan, which gives you the same internet speed as IE does right now, but without any cable tv.  Your internet is not going to be shut off, nor your voice services if you have that.

https://www.xfinity.com/prepare