Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Internet/ TV/ Phone all cut out during high heat

Frequent Visitor

Internet/ TV/ Phone all cut out during high heat

That's right. This has been ongoing now for 3+ months. No resolution. I've had at least 7 tech visits, some of them have taken the signal at the pole and determined that the signal is bad there - they have a "pole tech" come in 48-72 hours. Sometimes get a call/ follow up from that visit, sometimes not. One did tell me he replaced some hardware, things were marginally better for a short period of time... because the temperature cooled off again for a few weeks. 

What I notice today is, when the connection began to drop, the downstream signals went more negative, the upstream approached (from the ~48-50) 52-54. 

And yes, it is a thing, quite common:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=DOk7W-PpGOuijwSs8KuwBQ&q=cable+internet+drops+when+hot&...

Does anyone have any input? Suggestions? I'm at my last rope on this. If they can't fix it I'll just tell them they can't competently deliver service and to stop all my services.

Thanks,

Joe

Problem Solver

Re: Internet/ TV/ Phone all cut out during high heat

Those upstream powers are too high. How are the power levels for Downstream along with the SNR for those channels.
Frequent Visitor

I know.

I'll give you a snapshot overnight when it comes back online. Here's a quick view of what things look like when trouble started.

TV is up/ down, cycling. Internet, the modem just keeps cycling itself.

Joe

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Expert

@joechicago

Thank you for visiting the forums! Sorry to hear about your issues. 

I've asked a corporate employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem.You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Nerdburg.

Frequent Visitor

I had a similar issue - just resolved today. TV and INternet cutting out until temps outside cooled. Turned out the first time it was a bad splitter. This time it was a bad amp at the cable box outside. 

Frequent Visitor

About 10 PM here. Maybe 80 outside.

image.pngimage.png

Official Employee

Hi @joechicago

I can help look further into this. Can you send me your first and last name and the phone number or account number associated with your services? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Frequent Visitor

3:50 AM

image.png

Official Employee

Thanks for the update. I can send a signal to your modem, but this would only be a temporary fix to your issue. The tech will be able to further investigate. 

Would you like me to send the signal now? This will cause your modem to reboot. 

Frequent Visitor

No thanks. There's no point. A reboot doesn't fix anything. Because of the loss of signal, it reboots itself. It rebooted about 14 times today.I track the status via another site that monitors for up/down status.

BTW, I should add, I have 25 years in the IT industry. I can take and read my own packet captures.

We'll see tomorrow how this turns out - I've also noticed that my speed is being listed as "up to 250". I see a bit over 175 with the DPC3941.

Thanks,

Joe

Frequent Visitor

@tlust302 How was your service today? Would you call it fixed?

Joe

Official Employee

@joechicago

Ok. 

Frequent Visitor

image.png

Frequent Visitor

I would call mine fixed. Since they replaced the amp, I have had zero corrected packet and my service is better than it’s been in some time.
Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

I've eliminated my splitter to try keeping my internet up while I work for the day.

Valued Contributor

I would guess they have an AGC set wrong in an amp somewhere hence the signal swings throughout the day.  Those kind of problems always crop up when you have either a hot or cold temperature extreme.  It is normal for the RF signal to get lower when it is hotter out due to thermal noise but not to the extent you are seeing.  

Frequent Visitor

3 days later. No improvementimage.png

Edit: apparently this one is a widespread outage, again. Outage map shows 521 affected in my area. This too, is a very common occurrence.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastChe But it sure is down again today. Joe
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastChe The recommendation again today was to send a tech out. It wasn't hot enough today to drop services. This will be visit number 9 tomorrow. Nobody appears to care.
Official Employee

Hey joechicago, 

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation. If it was determined you will need a tech, I can help get one scheduled for you and follow up after to see if they were able to isolate the cause of your issue. I'll be reaching out in a private message shortly to get details of your availability for a tech. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Out again.
Frequent Visitor

Update.

An actual line tech appeared on Friday. He made some changes on both the pole before me as well as to the pole side box I am hooked into.

Here are the new results. Big difference.

image.png

Official Employee

Thanks for the update @joechicago! I'm going to follow up with you in two weeks to see how things are going. Chat with you soon!