Community Forum

Internet Availability at new lots

Regular Visitor

Internet Availability at new lots

I am currently looking for property to build a house on, and trying to determine whether comcast internet is available there is a nightmare.

Many pieces of property have no address, so you can't look it up. And a lot of times, there is Comcast listed at an address a block or two away, but the customer service reps have no idea if the service extends to the lot or not, and I just get the answer "We can only look up an address and tell you yes or no. Sorry, that's all we can do".

This is very frustrating. Is there any one that can actually look at a map, or parcels, and determine whether service is available, or if not, what it would take to actually get service there?

Official Employee

Re: Internet Availability at new lots

seattle_ice, unfortunately, no. We need a physical address. While service may be available to one lot/neighbor, it may not be the same instance for you. It's all about the proximity to the nearest plant. If your neighbor can get service but your address is further from the actual plant than your neighbor, then there would be costs on our behalf as well as yours to extend the plant to your home. 

KenF

Regular Visitor

Sure there might be costs, and I might be willing to pay them.  Are you really saying I should buy a lot, spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a house, then just HOPE that comcast can provide service to the home? 

How do large developers work with comcast to get them to run lines for new subdivisions? Or new Lots at all? I know there has got to be someone internally that has a brain and can look at a map or the house down the street and tell me "We have a line 300 feet from there, and it would cost XXX$ to run a line to your house". 

Regular Visitor

Is there not a new construction department at Comcast? And engineer or someone to talk to about running new lines?

Admin1

seattle_ice -- Is there a subdivision name for where you're looking at buying a house? We can use that as a reference point since you don't have a physical address.