Community Forum

Intermittent Connection Issues

Regular Visitor

Intermittent Connection Issues

My internet connection fails multiple times per day, always for about 6 minutes each time. I created a script to log the outages for the past few days and can provide those details. The script also checked to see if the internet could be accessed via the xfinitywifi SSID, and I found that for each outage with my Comcast internet access via my ASUS router connected to the cable modem, there was a corresponding outage via xfinitywifi which proves that the outages are independent of my ASUS router.

These outages have been occurring now for months. I have had a technician out on two separate occasions. The first time they replaced the cable modem. This did not fix the issue. The second time they replaced the grounding block and some filters on the coax line. This did not fix the issue. The second technician said that if the issue continued the problem must be at the box at the edge of our property, and to request someone to troubleshoot the issue from there.

I found a VERY similar issue reported (and solved) in the Comcast Support Forums: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Intermittent-Connection-Issues/m-p/2665020#M12453

Please review the solution for that issue as a likely solution for my issue.

I am extremely frustrated in calling Comcast tech support as it takes too much time while they insist on going through the process of resetting my modem, turning the power off/on on the modem, etc. The problem is NOT with my cable modem. The problem is NOT with my ASUS router. The problem (according to the Comcast technician who came out) is NOT with the cabling in my home.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Intermittent Connection Issues

Ongoing concern moved here from the Home Networking Help Board for greater exposure / escalation to actual Comcast employees.

New Poster

I got the same issue, I called comcast they said "although you are not any where near your data limit, you have used 32gb of your 1024gbs allowed, you habe used almost all of your allowed memory for your billing cycle, memory is what your internet & cable t.v. use for everything from getting you connected, watching shows, your guide and when you use it all your internet goes down". I called back and every rep gave me this excuse...
Expert

@ken3041752 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

Socalpunk05 wrote:
I got the same issue, I called comcast they said "although you are not any where near your data limit, you have used 32gb of your 1024gbs allowed, you habe used almost all of your allowed memory for your billing cycle, memory is what your internet & cable t.v. use for everything from getting you connected, watching shows, your guide and when you use it all your internet goes down". I called back and every rep gave me this excuse...

No. Data usage has absolutely nothing to do with the "internet going down". 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

ken3041752, I've checked our your signals and I see that you have some issues with upstream ripples and a few resets on your modem. Almost always, ripples are caused by outside plant issues somewhere in the trunk or hard line. I'd like to see what our next steps are. Please send me a private message (Click ComcastKenF and then click Private Message Me) with your account address and full name for assistance.

Official Employee

Socalpunk05, hmm, I haven't come across many "memory" issues before. 

The only memory problems I typically come across is that pertaining to DVR storage space. Are you having intermittent connectivity too?

New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem with my internet signal. The modem/router has been replaced and moved upstairs from the basement and this issue is still happening. I've spent too much time on the phone doing resets and factory resets with no improvement. I'm convinced the problem is with the cable signal before it reaches the modem. The ripples described in the ComcastKenF's reply describe what I think the problem is. I work from home and cannot afford outages. My wife has medical issues and needs to keep in touch with her care providers. One thing about the problem is it's most likely to occur sometime after noon.

I'm losing faith in Comcast's ability to fix this since nothing that's been tried has made any difference.

Frequent Visitor

I've been experiencing the same problem for the past two weeks. My connection suddenly stops all bandwidth and data transfers for 20-30 seconds, goes back to normal for a random period of time (anywhere between 5-10 minutes) and suddenly stops again. This goes on throughout the entire day, every day for the past two weeks. Everything was fine when I got service over a month ago.

Official Employee

Hi srapalyea! I can look into your signal issues. Send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Official Employee

Hi Fizziks. I can look into your service issues. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me.

In the body of this message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services.

New Poster

Hey ComcastChe,

I have intermitted connection issues, have swapped a number of routers and at least 3 technicians have visited my place. Nothing worked. can you help me with that?

New Poster

Is there a way I can check my signals for issues with upstream ripples and resets on my modem?  I experience several internet outages each day.  Each outage lasts for only 5 minutes.  The consistency of the duration of each outage suggests that the modem is going through a reboot sequence and the 5 minutes is the time it takes for the modem to come back online.

New Poster

Just had my comcast service installed yesterday. I pay for 100 Mbps service. A current speed test shows my download speed at .57. Yes 1/200th of what I pay for. It's so bad I'm having trouble sending this.

I have reset the modem several times with no change. I am beyond frustrated as I have no cell service and must use wifi calling which is not possible with this horrible internet service! Please help before I cancel tomorrow.
Regular Visitor

Hi folks, I think i'm having literally the exact same issue.  Several times a day internet connection drops and comes back in 10 minutes or so or with a modem reset.  Xfinity customer service just says its my wifi and is swapping the modem but it sounds like its something else.  Can anyone help?

Official Employee

Hey APGoel, 

I've replied to your message. Please reply at your convenience and I can look further into this for you. 

New Poster

Ever since moving back down here and using Xfinity I cannot get a consistent wifi signal. My phone even disconnects from it. I have used personal routers and theirs. I think they have a problem handling the load down here. The service tech has been out here at least five times and no way will I ever contact customer service via phone