Community Forum

Intermittent Connection Drops, Packet Loss, High Latency, Noise/Signal Fluctuations

Frequent Visitor

Intermittent Connection Drops, Packet Loss, High Latency, Noise/Signal Fluctuations

Hello, I'm seeing the reemergence of an elaborate and complex issue I had last year before Hurricane Irma. The issue had been resolved for a couple of months. However, since the Hurricane it's been getting progressively worse again. I highly recommend anyone providing customer service for me on this issue to read last years thread ...

Number 1: Started when I could no longer connect to the xfinitywifi (hotspot) coming from my neighbors modem. DHCP protocol seems to fail to assign an IP to any of my devices, despite using different Comcast accounts to login and signal strength being excellent. No wifi interference is visible, signal is apparently strong and close by (using a wifi spectrum analyzer to check). I called to have modems in the area "re-provisioned", still wasn't working despite being under the 5 device limit. I can connect fine to other distant hotspots but with poor signal strength.

Number 2: I then started noticing (again) very short and random intermittent latency spikes on my own network (owned modem and router). Latency will randomly spike to 800+ ms and slowly drop back down to 10-15ms, generally lasting anywhere from 1min-30secs and occuring at will several times an hour, all day (Using PingPlotter to monitor packet loss/latency). Will incur poor connection without ever fully dropping. Connection degradation is visible during stream buffering, online gaming, and general Internet browsing.

--- LOG ---

2-26-2018 @  1:45pm
Same agent showed up again, wasn't here to answer the door. Left a note claiming my xfinitywifi (hotspot) is working fine. Don't know If it was him but at least now I'm seeing my modem is emitting xfinitywifi (hotspot) signal. I know it's from my modem because it's on the same channel as my 5ghz and 2.4ghz and signal strengths are equivalent and if I disconnect the modem they all disappear. However, I'm still not able to connect to my hotspot (xfinitywifi coming directly from my modem). When I try, it instead connects me to other-- low quality connections in my vicinity. I've tried on multiple devices, different wifi adapters with software which allows me to see the channels, signal strengths and individual hotspots in the area. One of which doesn't even assign an IP address to me anymore and another whose connection is extremely poor. Still experiencing short but noticeable bouts of latency jitter and packet loss.
2-22-2018 @ 1:30pm
Comcast agent arrived. Claims there was an issue with the line outside and fixed it. Removed my owned modem and router for a Comcast modem (Arris). Did this in order to simultaneously attempt to troubleshoot the xfinitywifi hotspot issue as well as the intermittent latency spikes.

2-22-2018 @ 6:30pm
Intermittent connection issues still occuring; Additionally, new the Comcast modem is not emitting xfinitywifi hotspot. Called in to set up another tech appointment and agent told me she could not do anything else about the new modem not giving off hotspot signal. Modem was configured and checked, emitting regular wifi just fine-- but no xfinitywifi hotspot. Only other, older existing hotspots are visible on all my devices. I can tell because of the channels being broadcasted on, signal types and strength and wifi spectrum analyzer.

Official Employee

Re: Intermittent Connection Drops, Packet Loss, High Latency, Noise/Signal Fluctuations

Hi Cajete, 

Sorry for the experience you're having with your internet services. I'd like to review your account to see if I can identify the cause of your problem. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, the phone number, street address including city state and zip code, and the account number or phone number associated with your services.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Intermittent Connection Drops, Packet Loss, High Latency, Noise/Signal Fluctuations

Sent you the information a few days ago, anything yet?

Official Employee

Sorry Cajete, 

I'm not in the office on Sunday's and Monday's. I've replied to your private message with info needed to get this resolved. Please reply at your convenience and we can proceed accordingly. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!