Community Forum

Installation Fee after Self Install Gone Bad

New Poster

Installation Fee after Self Install Gone Bad

Somebody needs to get the BBB on these guys. I picked up my modem to self intsall my wifi as I didn't want to pay the $60 fee. I asked if it was easy to intsall. The lady assured me it was. Well it couldn't have been anything but easy. On the phone with Joe for 90 minutes. I did everything right but still no service. My "helpful" agent Joe said a tech needed to come out as it was an outside issue. It would be $40. Really?  Don't promote "free self installation" when it is not true. It's bad business ethics.

Valued Contributor

Re: Installation Fee after Self Install Gone Bad

This isn't so much a problem with the company, as it is with the agent who set you up. If another provider was there last, or it has been a while since comcast was there, or if it was remodeled, any number of things can cause a self install to fail.

It is easy to do a self install, IF the address is self install eligible. I have been lucky in the past with moving.
New Poster

Well than why isbn't there some disclaimer saying this. 

Valued Contributor

As stated, the agent who helped set you up, is supposed to determine if the address is self install eligible from the info they can see about the address itself. Even then, it isn't 100% guaranteed because there is no way for an agent to know EXACTLY what has happened in your home since the last customer had Comcast service there. If you have even a smidgen of IT background, no disclaimer is needed.. if not, you should not be attempting a self install in the first place.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you are stating that the BBB needs to be contacted, just because you don't understand basic IT. The agent recommended the tech in the first place, you declined because you didn't want to pay.

EDIT: ALSO, there basically is a disclaimer. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/self-install-product-availability-and-eligibility