Community Forum

Incorrect Social Security number on account

New Poster

Incorrect Social Security number on account

I reviewed the 2017 complaints about Comcast customers forced to go to Comcast stores to correct the error in Social Security numbers. What I didn't catch in the forums is the story I was told by Customer Service last week - that the customer database was moved to another system and the number were mixed up. 

I asked if hacking was involved and told "no."  But it's inconceivable to me that there were no quality control check on the data transfer. That is basic IT 101. The excuse is so ridiculous that it seems like a convenient lie. The Comcast privacy statement says our SSN are used for credit card checks. Is our incorrect data being shared with Comcast partners?

The database company responsible owes all Comcast customers reparations for the error, the inconvenience of fixing the mistake and damage to our credit records. But Comcast has told all the customers that we're supposed to fix the mistake ourselves!

Once again, Comcast had confused "customer service" with a brick wall. 

A Pepper

Expert

Re: Incorrect Social Security number on account

@aapepper wrote:

I was told by Customer Service last week - that the customer database was moved to another system and the number were mixed up. 

I'm very doubtful about the story you were told. Do you recall exactly who you spoke with? 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Re: Incorrect Social Security number on account

I spoke to two different people about getting my wi fi to work. At first, the social securiry number prevented the first customer service contact from helping (I didn't save the name.) I was transfered to another person who used the other info in my record to confirm I was the customer and help me with the wi fi connection.

I find the whole "wrong ssn in our files" story unbelievable. So many records compromised means a outside hack or inside incompetence. To make customers physically go to the store to confirm their ID is also wierd, especially when comcast was using ssn for credit checks.