Community Forum

I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

Frequent Visitor

I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting from  xfinity( already cut the cord on cable service.)

where do I purchase modem /router that is compatible?

what's a reasonable cost?

motorola SURFBOARD SB6141?

Expert

Re: I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

This will give you a list of compatible modems: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Re: I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

I own an Arris surfboard SB 6141 which you can get for around $50 on amazon, though you'd still need a router (mine is a netgear n600 v1 which you can get for around $50 on amazon).  Both of those devices are outdated by now, but still work well enough for my needs (my speed is 150Mbps though realistically I get between 80Mbps and 120Mbps)

If you get a gateway which is a router and modem combined into one product it'll cost more, but you'll have less wires and less clutter since it's only one device.  Even if you get a gateway that costs between $100 and $200 on amazon it will pay for itself within a year or two. I've had my router since 2007 and modem since 2013.