Community Forum

I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

Frequent Visitor

I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting from  xfinity( already cut the cord on cable service.)

where do I purchase modem /router that is compatible?

what's a reasonable cost?

motorola SURFBOARD SB6141?

Expert

Re: I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

This will give you a list of compatible modems: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: I want to purchase my own modem/router and stop renting xfinity-already canceled cable service

I own an Arris surfboard SB 6141 which you can get for around $50 on amazon, though you'd still need a router (mine is a netgear n600 v1 which you can get for around $50 on amazon).  Both of those devices are outdated by now, but still work well enough for my needs (my speed is 150Mbps though realistically I get between 80Mbps and 120Mbps)

If you get a gateway which is a router and modem combined into one product it'll cost more, but you'll have less wires and less clutter since it's only one device.  Even if you get a gateway that costs between $100 and $200 on amazon it will pay for itself within a year or two. I've had my router since 2007 and modem since 2013.