Community Forum

I am being charged $80 a month for 150 Mbps through ethernet, but Xfinity is only providing 95 Mbps

Regular Visitor

I am being charged $80 a month for 150 Mbps through ethernet, but Xfinity is only providing 95 Mbps

Xfinity is not providing the speeds they promise from their internet plans

I currently pay for Internet 5 150 Mbps for $80/month. For the last Month, through my ethernet connection I can only achieve maximum 95 Mbps download speeds. 

I have had an xfinity tech come out to my house and he verified that there is nothing wrong with my router or modem. 

It just seems that Xfinity is throttling the speeds in my area. 

It's fine if 95 Mbps is the fastest Xfinity can privde for me in my area, I just don't want to pay $80 a month for it. 

If Xfinity can fix the issue that's great, but if they cannot, I will need to either pay less a month for the reduced service or find a new ISP provider. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: I am being charged $80 a month for 150 Mbps through ethernet, but Xfinity is only providing 95 M

Worth checking that your devices have 10/100/1000 gigabit NIC's. 95Mbps just happens to be about the speed you would see if connected to a router or computer that has a 10/100 Fast ethernet NIC.

Regular Visitor

Re: I am being charged $80 a month for 150 Mbps through ethernet, but Xfinity is only providing 95 M

That's a good point. However, the wifi is also the exact same speed from devices right next to the modem and router. So im not sure it's that.

Regular Visitor

This is my motherboard.

Asus ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 (10Gb/s) Motherboards (Z97-A)

I have updated the NIC drivers. Nothing will go past 95 Mbps ethernet or wireless in the home. Something is capping the speeds and not allowing it to go past 95 Mbps.

Something really strange is happening and no one from Xfinity or online has any real answers. 

Regular Visitor

Turns out its my Router that is capping the internet at just below 100 Mbps. 

Netgear R6120

Now I need to do a factory reset and see if I can set it up to not cap internet speeds through ethernet or wifi. 

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Factory resetting won't help with the ethernet connection, it has 10/100 ports according to the specs I just saw. It is wireless AC, so it should be possible to improve that, (with the right setttings and device adapters).

Official Employee

Kebinu777 wrote: 

Turns out its my Router that is capping the internet at just below 100 Mbps. 

Netgear R6120

Now I need to do a factory reset and see if I can set it up to not cap internet speeds through ethernet or wifi. 

Thanks

Thank you for providing this information to us here, feel free to reach out to me via private message if you need any additional assistance. Have a good day. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!