Community Forum

Hurricane Florence Megathread

Highlighted
Expert

Hurricane Florence Megathread

September 12, 2018 - To help residents and emergency personnel stay connected if Hurricane Florence makes its anticipated landfall, Comcast is opening more than 7,000 Xfinity WiFi hotspots throughout Savannah, Charleston and Augusta to anyone who needs them, including non-Xfinity customers, for free.

For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, which are located both indoors and outdoors in places such as shopping districts, parks and businesses, please visit Xfinity.com/wifi.

Once in range of a hotspot, select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.

Xfinity internet customers can sign in with their usernames and passwords and they will be automatically connected to Xfinity WiFi hotspots in the future.

Non-Xfinity internet subscribers should visit the “Not an Xfinity Internet Customer” section on the sign-in page to get started. Non-customers will be able to renew their complimentary sessions every 2 hours through September 17, 2018.

Comcast Preparations and Customer Tips for Hurricane Florence

Comcast is also making extensive preparations at its facilities throughout the region, including staging emergency generators and fuel trucks as well as bringing in additional technical and network restoration teams that are ready to be deployed as the storm’s path becomes clearer.  

Comcast’s goal is to work to restore any services impacted for customers as quickly as possible and as soon as it is safe for its employees to do so.  Customers should remember that emergency management procedures in South Carolina and Georgia dictate that power must be restored first and Comcast must receive clearance that it is safe for its crews to begin any restoration work.

If services are down in an area because of a power outage, local power must be restored before video, phone and internet services can begin working again.

Customer tips:

• The most effective way to get outage updates and information about Comcast services is to visit Xfinity.com/MyAccount or to access the Xfinity My Account app from any secure, internet-enabled mobile device.
  • If customers have electrical power but Xfinity service has not yet come back on, Comcast recommends that customers restart or reset devices, including wireless gateways, modems, routers and cable boxes.
  • Customers should unplug their equipment or use a surge protector to plug in TVs, modems and cable boxes so that when power is restored, those devices aren’t damaged by power surges.
  • More information on ways to stay in-the-know about your Xfinity services is available at stormready.xfinity.com. Customers can post below for further assistance.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Hurricane Florence Megathread

We want to make sure you’re ready for whatever Mother Nature throws your way. Download the Xfinity apps and visit My Account to monitor your services and stay connected.

There are a few things you can do to make sure you’re prepared for any potential weather issues:

1) Get familiar with My Account

Check for outages, contact our care team and check the status of a service call with My Account – it's simple, easy and fast. Just download the Xfinity My Account app or access the app right from X1.

2) Download the Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app

Internet down? You can quickly locate and connect to Xfinity WiFi hotspots when you need them most.

3) Download the Xfinity Stream app

With the Stream app, you can view live TV, get weather updates and even download shows and movies to watch offline in case you lose power.

4) Protect your devices with a surge protector

Plug your TV, modem and cable box into a surge protector to protect them from damage in case of lightning or a sudden power outage.

5) Check your My Account contact info

Make sure your contact info is current so we can text and email you weather-related updates.

Think you have a service outage?

First things first — check My Account to see your status.

What should I do if my Xfinity service is down?

If your service does go down, check My Account first to see if there's an outage. If it shows an outage for your address, there is no need to call. If My Account does not show an outage, please let us know so we can alert our technicians. As we work to get everything repaired, you may notice some temporary service interruptions while technicians work to get all the connections restored.

What if my power is out?

A power outage may impact your Xfinity services. If the power is out, your local utility provider will need to restore power before your Xfinity services can be restored. On occasion, your power may start working before your Xfinity services. In those situations, we ask for your patience – our teams work hard to get our services back up and running so you can be connected again.

Once the power is restored in my home, how can I get my Xfinity services back up and running?

1. Unplug your equipment from its power source.
  2. Wait 5 seconds.
  3. Plug your equipment back into the power source.

You can also use Xfinity My Account or the My Account app to reboot your equipment.

For additional tips on how you can prepare your home and family for a major storm, please visit Weather Ready Nation.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Re: Hurricane Florence Megathread

About getting your service restored:

Electrical power and phone are primary utilities. They also typically own the infrastructure (poles.) Thus, they take priority over cable providers when making repairs. Cable service is typically the last to be restored. Please be patient. 

Credit for outages: Comcast may automatically apply credits for outages, or they may set up a special website to request a credit. I'll update this post when more information is available.

Lost/damaged equipment: Typically your homeowner's or renter's insurance will cover the cost. Comcast understands you may have just experienced a catastrophic loss and typically is very good about working with customers with this issue. They may adopt special policies to help you after the storm. I'll update this post when more information is available.