Community Forum

How to subscribe to NetFlix without having an X1 box

New Poster

How to subscribe to NetFlix without having an X1 box

My package includes NetFlix but it says I can only open a NetFlix account through the X1 box.  I don't have an X1 box since I use Tivo.  Is there a way to open a NetFlix account without the X1 box?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How to subscribe to NetFlix without having an X1 box

Yes.  I opened mine years ago on the Netflix website.

https://www.netflix.com/signup

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

How would I link that to my xfinity account so I am not charged?

Silver Problem Solver

@NavyChief wrote:

How would I link that to my xfinity account so I am not charged?

Netflix is not free under any plan.  If you use X1 Netlix, Comcast bills you.

https://www.xfinity.com/netflix

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

That is not true.  My package has NetFlix included for free (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/100377?g=9DD8157B23E0FA77D26FE0C5D6B298BE64523FDB&lkid=URL_HELP&lnk... To activate it and have it tied to my Xfinity package, they say I must use an X1 box.

Silver Problem Solver

Nothing there about it being free.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/51790

Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: Nothing there about it being free. ...

How about "included"? In other words, Netflix is part of the bundle. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/100377 says:

Customers in the United States can sign up for an eligible Comcast Xfinity package that includes a Netflix subscription.

ETA: Locally (South-Central PA), on https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/ the descriptions for Signature and Super Double and Triple play plans say:

Includes ... Netflix Standard HD Plan

So Netflix isn't "free", but it is "included" with those bundles.

All of these plans reference a poorly worded footnote that says:

Netflix activation of subscription requires X1 equipment.

If there's a way to use your "included" Netflix subscription without having an X1 box, I don't know how that would be done.

New Poster

I did use the word "included" in my original question.  I say it is free since the new subscription bundle I have replaced a bundle that didn't have NetFlix but the price is still the same. 

New Poster

is there a solution to customers that have a cable card through Tivo and have the new package with Netflix included?  Do we have to rent a X1 box for one day and then return it?

Valued Contributor

Just to clarify, there are many new plans that DO include NETFLIX within your bundle, I do not know if yours is. (These were created around the time the other user stated the incorrect reply). If NETFLIX is included within you bundle, you need to contact Xfinity billing, and have them take over the billing for netflix. (Not sure if possible without X1 box unfortunately, but billing can give you that answer)
Netflix then, should send you an e-mail confirming this.
New Poster

I have the same configuration as you and as someone else replied, go to an Xfinity store, get an X1 box for a day, hook it, link your Netflix account and then return to the X1 box.  Maybe if enough people do this Comcast will  take notice and make it easier for DVR users with cable cards to link their Netflix accounts

New Poster

I've run into this same issue and was considering doing the "one day X1 rental".  Can anyone confirm that this actually works and that the billing link to xfinity 'sticks'?  Any actual experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

New Poster

I will say that I keep the X1 box for two weeks offline before returning it to Comcast to be sure that link would stick, however, what I ultimatly decided to do was to down grade my service to basic TV and Internet which saved me about $5o/month.  I signed up seperatly for Netflix, Hulu and added HBO to my Prime account for about $40/month total.

New Poster

Thanks for the feedback.  I went ahead and got the x1 box, activated Netflix and then returned the box. So far, all is well. It's a shame that Xfinity won't just activate Netflix - it's just a software change and hardware really shouldn't be necessary.  

Frequent Visitor

Out of curiosity did this method of activating your Comcast billed Netflix on the X1 and then returning the box work out for you in the end? Is it still linked now that it's been two months? Been offered this same deal, but as a TiVo user was wondering if jumping through all of those hoops will work out. Thanks!

New Poster

Yep. Worked like a charm and continues to work. I can also access my Netflix account via Roku and android devices. FYI, I did the activation and returned their x1 box the same day. No issues at all.

Frequent Visitor

Awesome! Great to hear that it shouldn't be too tricky to do.