Community Forum

How to find out Comcast's expansion plans in my area?

New Poster

How to find out Comcast's expansion plans in my area?

Hi everyone-

In order to ask my question I will have to give a lengthy background so please accept my apologize for the length of this post but, I feel like it's important to get the facts and background. 

Almost exactly 4 years ago to the day I moved from the Northeast to FL. Town is called Dunnellon, right on the edge of Marion County going into Citrus County. I had bought some land and (eventually did) wanted to build a house but needed to rent while that happened.  So I found a house to rent in a nice neighborhood about 12-15 miles away from my property (depending on the route.)  I had Xfinity up North at home for probably close to 15 years, nearly since Comcast came out with cable-modem internet.  When I moved, some family stayed home, so Comcast was able to exactly duplicate my service at the rental house, so I arrived and had the exact same Blast Plus! internet (50/10 Mbps) and cable TV etc.  At some point in summer 16 Comcast actually doubled our speeds to 100 for free... then a few months later, reduced the free upgraded speeds down to about 75, but still, we were happy.  We figured we would buy the best available at the new house when it came time.   Comcast had assured me they were expanding all over that town, county, and greater region so if I was building a house, no problem!  It'll probably take a year, right?  We'll be over there by then!  --- I can confirm they were/are doing a ton of expansion because the one or two small hotels in the town were constantly packed with out-of-state Comcast trucks doing service expansions.  For months.  

Well because of this and that, it took 3 years to get the house built.  And of course, around this time last year when I was finalizing the build and getting ready to move, Comcast was not in my new area.  (To clarify, my rental was in Dunnellon of Marion County; however, my new house is also having Dunnellon as it's mailing address, but a slightly different zip-code, and it's not actually in the town of Dunnellon, and it's actually in Citrus County rather than Marion County.)  It is my understanding that Comcast has been expanding all over my area, just not MY area.  The only options are CenturyLink DSL (which I have now, and is a total, total joke, and they could not care less about expanding here) or Satellite.  I understand that Spectrum is competing with Comcast in many surrounding areas and they're both doing serious expansions, but again, while I can drive 10-15 minutes away in different directions and see them both working , not in my area.

SO I have a very nice custom home on 30+ acres of beautiful Florida scrubland, in a development of a few thousand acres with 900+ lots/homes, but no one is servicing us but the existing DSL lines ran ages ago.  I understand Comcast is available like 2-3 miles away in one direction, and perhaps 2-3 miles away in the other direction, but not down the connector road (that my development is on.)

I am wondering how I could find out what Comcast is planning for our area and , as I am a member of the community Board of Directors and trying to be a leader in organizing the community, who could I contact at Comcast regarding some sort of arrangment?  That is, perhaps we can come together and say, "We have this many homes and people wanting service, we all want hi-speed internet and cable and perhaps packages etc, maybe we can show you we are worth it" etc.?

thank you very much for your time and help.  It's just so frustrating to have spent my entire adult life with the highest speed connections possible (since I built my first computer at age 12 with the first 14.4K US Robotics fax/modem, up to 56K, up to cable , etc.) and now have a new house with 6Mbps/.320 DSL.  I want to be a Comcast customer again , as I was for ~15 years!

Expert

Re: How to find out Comcast's expansion plans in my area?

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
New Poster

Thank you very much!

Official Employee

LuckyDog80, Thanks for reaching out. If the nearest plant is 2-3 miles from your home, serviceability is unlikely. The costs on both ends (your costs and our costs) would be too hand to build out an extension. I will reach out to the serviceability team anyway to see if there is a quote for such an extension. Please send me a private message with your full name, address, phone number, and email address for help. 

New Poster

I'm in a similar boat here, moving into a home on 2.5 acres in Warren, Oregon. There is a home 0.7 miles away being services by Comcast xfinity. There are a number of homes in the area i'm sure would be interested in accessing comcast high speed internet. The serviceability team said it wasn't viable for a single home owner, but i'm wondering how to organize a group of home owners with Comcast to extend the service area.