Community Forum

How do I report a node that needs to be replaced?

New Poster

How do I report a node that needs to be replaced?

This baloney has been going on for something like a month now. I started seeing spotty internet, and eventually determined the problem was at the node in our back yard. It was giving me packet loss of around 10%. So I set up a technician appointment.

Tech 1A arrived. As is what I can only assume is standard protocol, he proceeded to check my modem and found nothing wrong with it, even though I already told him it wasn't. I showed him an MTR test I took the night before, as well as one I started that morning, and both showed 0 packet loss at the modem and 6-10% at the second hop onwards. He eventually went out to look at the node and discovered that it was indeed the problem, so he called in tech 1B. I'm not terribly sure tech 1A knew what he was doing, as he clearly didn't know what an MTR test was. I wound up teaching him.

I don't know if tech 1B ever arrived, but I eventually noticed the connection issues fade. For a couple days anyway, then they came right back. I called for another tech.

Tech 2A arrived, but greeted me with "I hear you're having a problem with your TV." I told him, no, it's the internet. He started by (presumably) checking the node and found the problem immediately. He never had to come in the house. He called in for tech 2B.

I noticed tech 2B arrive, but never talked to him. I think tech 2B may have called in for tech 2C, but I never noticed them arrive if so.

Things got better for a few days again, until the same packet loss resurfaced once more. By this point, the problem was coming and going in long stretches; it would be fine for a few hours, then start dropping packets for a few hours, and so on. I called for tech 3A. When he arrived, I showed him an MTR test I had taken a while back. He went to check the modem and found no issues anywhere, because, at the time, the node was behaving nicely. He told me, essentially, that there was nothing he could do and probably nothing that tech 3B could do, but he called in for tech 3B anyway. I never noticed 3B arrive.

Following the same pattern, the connection was fine for a few days, until just recently, when it went offline completely, then proceeded dropping packets again once it came back on. Once again, an MTR test showed the node in the back yard as the culprit.

Comcast, you have two options. You can fix/replace this node, or you can lose me as a customer. The node is old and clearly starting to wear out, and there is a newer AT&T node right next to it. I'm willing to bet it will drop a lot fewer packets.

Official Employee

Re: How do I report a node that needs to be replaced?

Hello AnonymousN, I can assist you with getting a tech out to look into your node issue for you. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?