Community Forum

How can I escalate or troubleshoot outside the home cable internet health problems ?

New Poster

How can I escalate or troubleshoot outside the home cable internet health problems ?

I've got my own recent hardware (modem, router). I've stepped through all the signal level checks and replaced a few dated splitters (service came to the house once).  My service frequently works fine for a couple weeks then might be out for 20 minutes.  I might then check the Arris Modem logs to see a few level 3, 4 warnings. Rule out single computers, wifi etc. Call support and end up with a non technical person who inevitably says it looks fine at their end.  When I've asked for an escalation, they claim they'll put a scan/monitor on it for a week but it's not a daily event so a week easily passes without another outage. They call back and basically wash their hands of there being any problem.

In my modem logs I see several Level 3, 4 errors like:

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

Improper Configuration File CVC Format

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time ou

In all the troubleshooting articles I find, the steps are all based around checking issues in the home  (singal levels,  uncorrectables) but what about issues on the broadband providers side ? I had a nasty neighborhood issue in a previous home where Comcast stubbornly did nothing till other neighbors complained of dropped VOIP calls then to find that a neighborhood hardware piece was bad. I'm frustrated I have no visibility into the outside-my-home broadband provider network health. Any recommendations ?

Valued Contributor

Re: How can I escalate or troubleshoot outside the home cable internet health problems ?

You can have a tech come out to assist, and have them show you the signal levels at the demarc point. Other than that, I don't think there is a way for your to view anything beyond your home.