Community Forum

Hard inquiry without notice and no history of account setup

New Poster

Hard inquiry without notice and no history of account setup

Hi,

Last Thursday, 6/21/18, I made a call to Comcast to set up Internet at my new address. It is a brand new house, and they verified that it is wired and ready for service. During the account setup, the sales lady's system crashed and she gave me a great deal on internet. When asking for my SSN, she said there would not be a hard inquiry on my credit. She also failed to mention I could place a deposit or put down a down-payment to avoid providing SSN and, consequently, a credit check. Mind you, I already had a previous Xfinity account from a previous address, but she could not use it because it was "in a different region" and inaccessible. We finalized account setup and I was ready for activation once at my new address with my hardware.

Fast forward to Sunday, 6/22/18. I was having trouble getting my modem/router connecting to the internet so I gave Comcast a call, thinking I might have to provide my MAC address. When speaking to a customer service representative, she informed me that THERE WAS NO HISTORY OF MY PHONE CALL/ACCOUNT SETUP ON 6/21/18. She suggested I call back during normal business hours when the sales folks were back in the office.

Today, 6/23/18, I called Comcast again. This time I was put on hold and when taken off hold, someone new was on the phone - I think from the sales department. They, too, had NO HISTORY OF MY PHONE CALL/ACCOUNT SETUP ON 6/21/18. Of course, she tried to get me to set up new service, but this time for $15 more per month than what I agreed to on 6/21/18. She also informed me of the other options to avoid a credit check...if only I learned of this sooner...

I told her that I'd like to dispute the credit inquiry before setting up any service with Comcast. She said I could do that, but that I'd need to set up service so that I'd have an account number to file the ticket. I told her that I have an account from my old service in the other region. She, too, couldn't access this account. We hung up.

I called Comcast again, but this time providing my old account info/zip code and got on the phone with someone who could see my old account! But he couldn't file the credit dispute and said sales might be able to help, but he wasn't able to transfer me to sales because his system wouldn't allow.

I was going to call for the third time today, ask for the Sales Department, and provide my old info to file the credit dispute ticket, but thought I'd post here. It seems that other folks have had luck on this forum.

If someone could please provide me with a phone number or someone that can handle this dispute, that would be much appreciated. Comcast should not have the right to pull people's credit for fun.

Thank you in advance,

Phil

Official Employee

Re: Hard inquiry without notice and no history of account setup

Hi, phil_16 - Do you see a credit inquiry on your credit report? Can you please provide a screenshot in a private message? Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me.