Community Forum

HSI Customer Service

New Poster

HSI Customer Service

Called HSI. Wanted the minimum specs for a modem. My Comcast supplied modem has decided that WiFi is a NoGo. Their Agent could only tell me that I could purchase a modem at Walmart. No knowledge of what Specs are at all. How does Comcast expect this person to be able to talk anyone through anything? What useful product information and comparisons would I receive from Walmart?
Valued Contributor

Re: HSI Customer Service

This site might help you pick out an approved device if you are looking to purchase one.  Just select the speed of your package and it will give you a list of options to choose from that will work for your level of service.

http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

Expert

In addition, this post might help, as it also gives a short rundown of what you might need for internet service equipment - 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Network-Devices/td-p/3109887

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

You have a modem, and then a router. Some boxes are combo boxes (include both) The modem needs to be Docsis 3.0 or higher, (Docsis 3.1 for the 400Mbps and up speeds) You will also need a phone port if you have/want phone service.
Expert

@JLDOOBLY wrote:
You have a modem, and then a router. Some boxes are combo boxes (include both) The modem needs to be Docsis 3.0 or higher, (Docsis 3.1 for the 400Mbps and up speeds) You will also need a phone port if you have/want phone service.

You need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for Gigabit, but for Extreme Pro (400 Mbps), a 24x8 channel DOCSIS 3.0 modem like the Netgear CM600 will work just fine. 

Comcast does rent their XB6 Advanced Gateway for both Extreme Pro and Gigabit, but only because their XB3 gateway has only 16 download channels. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

You are correct, but if someone is wanting a speed of 400 to begin with, there is no need to buy a DOCSIS 3.0, when only higher speeds will be available in the future, and you want upgrade options if you are BUYING the modem. Extreme Pro (400 Mbps) recommends Docsis 3.1, but yes, 3.0 will work with it in theory.