Community Forum

HELP: Switching business to residential.

New Poster

HELP: Switching business to residential.

I'm trying to help my brother get his internet set up in his new house and Comcast is fighting tooth and nail to prevent us from getting it. My brother bought an old house built in the 1860's to restore and live in but it's last owner was a local bank that moved 15 years ago. Comcast is saying that the address is a bank and that the bank still has internet there and they will not switch it to a residential address so he can get internet. My brother contacted the bank president and confirmed that the bank has no internet at that location, and to reiterate, the house has set empty for a decade and a half. He moved in nearly three weeks ago and has been trying to get internet since, going as far as to call comcast every day the past two weeks straight and can't get a straight answer. He was told a ticket had been submitted and that comcast would need to investigate whether or not the address was a business or residential. Well now they are saying that the ticket was denied because "the address is an active bank." Which is completely false. Any comcast employee is welcome to come to the house and see for themselves that it is in fact a residential. We are now collecting the documentation from the bank irrefutably showing that they sold the property and that they cancelled their internet but just in case that information is ignored as well I'm reaching out to the community for help. Maybe there is a better way to get this done. For those that don't know or may be wondering why this is a priority for me, it's because he would be charged two times more per month as a business than he would as a residential. Also, my three year old nephew hasn't been able to watch Paw Patrol in his own home in three weeks and that's a problem for this uncle. 

Expert

Re: HELP: Switching business to residential.

G_xsmartx wrote:

I'm trying to help my brother get his internet set up in his new house and Comcast is fighting tooth and nail to prevent us from getting it. My brother bought an old house built in the 1860's to restore and live in but it's last owner was a local bank that moved 15 years ago. Comcast is saying that the address is a bank and that the bank still has internet there and they will not switch it to a residential address so he can get internet. My brother contacted the bank president and confirmed that the bank has no internet at that location, and to reiterate, the house has set empty for a decade and a half. He moved in nearly three weeks ago and has been trying to get internet since, going as far as to call comcast every day the past two weeks straight and can't get a straight answer. He was told a ticket had been submitted and that comcast would need to investigate whether or not the address was a business or residential. Well now they are saying that the ticket was denied because "the address is an active bank." Which is completely false. Any comcast employee is welcome to come to the house and see for themselves that it is in fact a residential. We are now collecting the documentation from the bank irrefutably showing that they sold the property and that they cancelled their internet but just in case that information is ignored as well I'm reaching out to the community for help. Maybe there is a better way to get this done. For those that don't know or may be wondering why this is a priority for me, it's because he would be charged two times more per month as a business than he would as a residential. Also, my three year old nephew hasn't been able to watch Paw Patrol in his own home in three weeks and that's a problem for this uncle. 

You're actually doing the right thing by getting documentation from the bank.  Until that issue is cleared up and removed from Comcast's database you may end up sitting on the merry-go-round.  Have your brother make sure they expedite this issue because the onus is with the bank to get this cleared up quickly.

FWIW, the bank President may not readily know the status of the account unless he did some investigation with the finance/accounts department and called your brother back with that information.  And, even if he did, he should have supplied documentation immediately.

And, the only reason it's listed as a business is because of the bank. 

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Admin1

Hi G_xsmartx -- I can help with getting service at this address. Are you able to send me that address please so I can research it further please?

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Frequent Visitor

Would you be able to help me get my address fixed. I am on a residential plan at our house and was looking online to do some upgrades but it keeps saying there is a problem withmy address. So when I go to type my address into website it says there is multiple units when there is only the one house, so when I add a 1 or something to the unit it forwards me to business.comcast.com and I do not have a business.... Any help to resolve this so I can review offers as the change without having to call in all the time?

Expert

@Pastorren wrote:

Would you be able to help me get my address fixed. I am on a residential plan at our house and was looking online to do some upgrades but it keeps saying there is a problem withmy address. So when I go to type my address into website it says there is multiple units when there is only the one house, so when I add a 1 or something to the unit it forwards me to business.comcast.com and I do not have a business.... Any help to resolve this so I can review offers as the change without having to call in all the time?

If you're looking at upgrades without signing into to your account, you'll be seeing new customer prices, which you're not qualified for.  Sign in to your account to see what plans are available to you.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi @Pastorren

Just to clarify, do you mean the system is recognizing your address as a business address? If so, I will need to create a ticket to have this updated from business to a residential address before you are able to see any pricing information. 

If this is the case, can you please send me a private message verifying your first and last name? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.