Community Forum

Gigabit 'install'

New Poster

Gigabit 'install'

Hi!

I'm curious about getting gigabit service, however I prefer to handle my own network setup and provide my own hardware.

From the information I'm getting on the phone, if I get gigabit service (which in my area IS being provided over DOCSIS, I'd completely understand if I'd be going FTTH) I'm either A: Unable to use my own equipment or B: able to use my equipment, but I still have to pay $60 for someone to come out and play with my network.

What's the reasoning behind this? I have my own modem (which granted I do have to upgrade), and this modem is completely capable of telling me that the signal coming into it is absolutely top-notch. I have no interest in having Comcast supplied equipment, or a technician coming out to mess with my stuff for $60. I was also under the impression the FCC requires you guys to allow me to use my own equipment if I wish.

Contributor

Re: Gigabit 'install'

New Poster

How difficult was it to get them to put the device in Bridge mode? I've heard horror stories from my workplace trying to get them to do that for the business gateway. 

Official Employee

Hi Anon17693, 

Thanks for reaching out. If the Gigabit internet service is available in your area, you can use your own modem as long as it is on our approved list of devices to ensure you are getting the speeds you signed up for. To review the list to make sure yours is compatible, follow this link. The information provided above by @spongebob2004 is correct. The reason we need to send a technician out is to make sure the signals necessary for the Gigabit internet are in spec. Please reach out to me in a private message, I'd like to see if we have any promotions for installations going on for you. 

In order assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, the phone number, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services.

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!