Community Forum

Getting charged for owning my own modem

New Poster

Getting charged for owning my own modem

I started internet with Comcast/Xfinity in August 2016 and

I have always owned my own modem, but Comcast continues to keep adding the Internet/equipment rental fee which is now $11 month.

I told Comcast when I originally started that I owned my own modem and everything was fine for a couple of months and then I received a letter saying they made a mistake and that I was supposed to have been charged a rental fee and they added it to my bill and after calling customer service that 1st incident was resolved. 

When I originally signed up I was under a promotion which was for 1 premium channel for cable and no other channels and the internet.

Comcast sent a cable box for the 1 channel and no modem since I told them I owned my own modem.

After the 1 year promotion was over I cancelled the cable and only kept internet.

When I returned the cable box to the equipment center in Delray/Boca the man at the counter told me I needed to also return the Comcast modem which I explained to him I never had a Comcast modem and that I have always used my own personal modem that I purchased on Ebay.  He told me it would be investigated and I did not hear anything after that.    

Comcast has put the Internet/equipment fee on my bill 3 or 4 times since 2016 and each time I have called them and it was resolved the previous times by talking to Customer Service but this last time they asked for my modem serial# and they gave me ticket# 045085612 and it took them 2 weeks to investigate and when I called today, they told me the ticket issue was declined but I was not given a reason why.

When I told the girl my frustration with being charged a fee for my own modem, she told me she would put in an upgraded ticket on new ticket# 045238425 which I will have to wait another 2 weeks for the outcome.  I explained to her that I will be cancelling my service if the problem is not resolved on this next ticket.

I sincerely hope the issue will be resolved and  I that I will not ever be charged an erroneous  Internet/equipment fee ever again. 

After searching several forums on the internet, I see the same thing is happening to hundreds or even thousands of people

Please stop this from happening and make customers the top priority again.

Comcast/Xfinity should be able to see from my original transaction in 2016 that I have never been issued one of their modems, because I have always owned my own.

P.S. I contacted Paypal and they emailed me my receipt from when I purchased my own Arris Modem on ebay.

Thank You.

Expert

Re: Getting charged for owning my own modem

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hi Letsjetdisjoint, thank you for reaching out and I can assist reviewing any updates on your new ticket for you, could you please send me a private message with your account information (name on account, address and account number).

Thank you

Official Employee

Hi Letsjetdisjoint, thank you for working with me via private message.  Please reach out if you have any questions in the future.

Thank you for your time