Community Forum

Freeze account while moving

Frequent Visitor

Freeze account while moving

The military is moving us from the east coast to the north west. Big move. We will be on the road several days and then will be basically "homeless" until we find a new home. Probably be in a hotel for 1-2 month with no new address. 

We do want to keep comcast and transfer the service after finding a home. Can we just freeze the account and activate it again after we get a new address and move in date? I will have to get it disconnected at the current address since people will be moving in after we moved out. 

Expert

Re: Freeze account while moving

@Zihna wrote:

The military is moving us from the east coast to the north west. Big move. We will be on the road several days and then will be basically "homeless" until we find a new home. Probably be in a hotel for 1-2 month with no new address. 

We do want to keep comcast and transfer the service after finding a home. Can we just freeze the account and activate it again after we get a new address and move in date? I will have to get it disconnected at the current address since people will be moving in after we moved out. 

That isn't a possibility.  You'd be better off canceling service and then restarting it when you finally find a place to live.  You have two advantages when doing this: a.) if you're in a contract there is no ETF for military personnel when moving [you must show the military orders for relocation] and b.) you will get new customer rates when you sign up again.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

That's what we ended up doing. They could have put it on hold, but it comes with a 90 day minimum. And I am pretty sure it won't take 3 month to find a new home. Another option was to put the account in someone elses name temporarily. But neither of those two options would have worked for me. So we just cancelled and will get new service when we get a new address and move in date! Thank's for your response!!! 

Valued Contributor

Just to clarify, Again's info was correct. The agent who told you that you could put it on hold for 90 days is not. When you lose possession of the old address, a new customer will setup service, cancelling yours. They were talking about a seasonal hold, which wouldn't work because of that reason. You could have changed over possession, which is a pain, but not the previous method you spoke of. EDIT: (Also, it could not be transferred to the new address, and then put on hold, even if you had possession because the service must be activated there first, before any seasonal hold could be done) I am not nitpicking your post, this info is just here to help anyone in the future through my experiences over the years with Comcast.