Community Forum

Fiber being offered soon, can you beat it?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Fiber being offered soon, can you beat it?

Hello, my city will be offering fiber internet soon and according to expected prices, I will be able to get gigabit internet for about the same price I'm currently paying Comcast for a 150 Mbps connection.  Is comcast able to offer me anywhere near that speed for the price I'm currently paying ($65)? I'm trying to decide whether I will be leaving Comcast or not.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Fiber being offered soon, can you beat it?

@Spartan7283 wrote:

Hello, my city will be offering fiber internet soon and according to expected prices, I will be able to get gigabit internet for about the same price I'm currently paying Comcast for a 150 Mbps connection.  Is comcast able to offer me anywhere near that speed for the price I'm currently paying ($65)? I'm trying to decide whether I will be leaving Comcast or not.

Hmmm, I don't think I've seen Gigabit prices as low as $65, but I've seen them get somewhat close. Let's take a look at what's available in your area.

Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name (Comcast_Support) and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send a private message on the right.

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Spartan7283 

Usually when a city does a Gig initiative yes your monthly prices will be very low, but your initial investment to have that infrastructure is usually really high. Good news, with Comcast it is usually dramatically lower to initially sign up for Gig Internet, but the monthly fee for that service will be higher. 

I imagine you can find Comcast Gig pricing here: https://www.xfinity-deals.com

If it were me, I would compare initial investment and then monthly costs and see what was more affordable to me. Comcast will never be able to ever offer you a price match, that is simply not how they are structured. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

There is no upfront cost since it is rolled into the monthly city utility fee which ends up being significantly cheaper so I guess I'll be switching once the city has it installed. Thanks for the information.