Community Forum

False Promise of Waived Tech Fee

New Poster

False Promise of Waived Tech Fee

I moved into an apartment which formerly had an xfinity connection, so I chose to self install. I immediately encountered major connection issues and spoke to an xfinity customer service agent, telling her the problems I was having and the various things I had tried, and she immediately elevated my call to some sort of tech support agent. After some discussion the agent advised me that it would be necessary to send a tech and had me sign off on the tech fee unless the problem was found to be with Xfinity's equipment or signal. I had the agent expressly reiterate this multiple times before agreeing, that there would be no charge if the problem was found with Xfinity's equipment. And indeed, the tech found the problem to be outside the building with Xfinity's equipment and successfully fixed it (after which my connection works correctly).

I nonetheless got billed $60 for the tech visit. When I called customer service, both the agent I spoke to and her manager said that it was a valid charge and I had no options for disputing it, even though I only agreed to the visit because the first agent expressly said multiple times that I would not be charged if the problem was found to be with Xfinity's equipment. The manager explained that even if they find a record of that promise being made to me on the phone, I still would not get refunded because the fine print of the charge says the fee is charged no matter what if you did a self install. In what universe is it acceptable to lead a customer's decision by outright lying? I understand that Xfinity may have decided this situation merits a fee, but I would just have gone with a different ISP if I had known I would be charged $60 for a problem in Xfinity's own line.

If this situation cannot be satisfactorily addressed I will be switching to a different service as soon as possible.

Official Employee

Re: False Promise of Waived Tech Fee

Hello, I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services? To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.