Community Forum

Extremely upset over fee

New Poster

Extremely upset over fee

I recently joined Comcast. I spent my whole day off going to 2 different xfinity stores to get my needed equipment to do the self install. I just moved into a new apartment and have about 6 different cable outlets. NONE OF THEM WORK APPARENTLY. I tried to hook up my equipment and only my modem works. No cable boxes worked. I called support and was told the outlets were inactive and a tech would need to come out. And u have to pay 70 buck for it... Excuse me? Why am I paying when I have perfectly good outlets? I have a child that does virtual school and I need my service and it isn't my fault the outlets aren't "active". I also bought a new TV today and had I known this would happen I would not have done so. I'm so upset and since I have 30 days to cancel I think I will explore my other options. I'm so upset over this and am completely disappointed <Edited>

Contributor

Re: Extremely upset over fee

There are some requirements that you must meet in order for a self-install to actually work correctly. 

Self-Install Kit Eligibility
Are you (or someone in your home) comfortable connecting a DVD player or connecting to a wireless network in your home? If so, you probably have all the technical skill necessary to install and activate Xfinity service. But there are a couple of requirements we want you to know before ordering your Self-Install Kit.

• You must be a current Comcast customer, or your address must have had Comcast service in the past. 
  • All of the outlets in your home must be located where you need the service (both cable and electrical outlets) - Self-Install Kits do not allow you to add additional outlets in your home, you need a technician to help you with that.
  • Your home must be "tap ready," meaning it is already set up to connect Comcast services. Your Comcast agent will tell you more about this at the time of your order. In some cases, a technician will be sent to your home prior to you proceeding with the self-installation, or professional installation will be offered if further work is necessary at your home.
  • You must be installing fewer than four devices for the best self-installation experience.

Xfinity TV Self-Install Requirements
The coaxial cable included in your Self-Install Kit is six feet in length, so the outlet in your home must be within six feet of where you would like to place your TV Box.

Xfinity Internet Self-Install Requirements
The coaxial cable included in your Self-Install Kit is 15 feet long, so the outlet in your home must be within 15 feet of where you would like to connect your modem.

Xfinity Voice Self-Install Requirements

• The coaxial cable included in your Self-Install Kit is 15 feet long, so the outlet in your home must be within 15 feet of where you would like to connect your voice modem.
  • The Xfinity Voice Self-Install Kit allows you to connect your services through a cordless phone system in your home, and does not provide service through the existing phone wall jacks in your home. For that reason, if you have a home alarm, health monitoring system or a direct security connection to buzz guests into the building via the telephone, professional installation is required.

For moreinformaiton about SIK eligibility you can read this document: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/self-install-product-availability-and-eligibility

If you do meet all the requirements for general self-install kits and for each line of business you are wishing to receive then I would wait to see what an employee says or contact them via the methods outlined here for immediate assistance. 

If you do not meet all the requirements listed above you must have a tech out to do a professional installation. 

Hope this helps. 

New Poster

Re: Extremely upset over fee

No it doesn't help and has really nothing to do with my issue.