Community Forum

Extending Xfinity to residence not currently serviced

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Extending Xfinity to residence not currently serviced

My wife and I are ready to leave the bay area behind and relocate to somewhere slower paced. We both are able to work remotely, which is fantastic. Unfortunately, the tasks we both perform in our respective jobs require true high speed internet and we consume a LOT of data. Suffice to say, satellite and fixed 4g wireless is not an option. We simply cannot deal with low data caps, throttling, instability, network prioritization, etc.

We finally found our dream home. It happens to be in an area where Xfinity is available to 90% of residents. Awesome! We went to the handy Xfinity availability by address check tool...our dream house is not serviced... Not awesome!

Through some sleuthing, I've come across articles, forum posts etc from people in similar situations. Seems like the end result is usually if there is Xfinity equipment within some distance (not sure what that distance would be) you can pay a premium to have service extended.

So, I submitted a request through their Twitter, I've been told it's a good way to get quick efficient help, and I haven't had the best of luck when calling. I was happy to receive a prompt response from someone that really seemed to understand the issue. I was told a serviceability ticket was submitted and that the maintenance team would review the address in question and look at nearby equipment to see what the possibilities are.

Two days later, I receive an automated call "thanks for your interest... Unfortunately service is not currently available..." No REAL information. I'd like to know the why of it... Because when we punch in nearby addresses in their availability tool, they come up as eligible for all service levels. We assumed based on nearby availability, it would just be a matter of paying a premium to get what we need. We'd consider $5-7k, possibly more, a small price to pay to get our dream home.

So, given very little information was provided by the automated call, I follow back up via Twitter. I wanted to know what was done to determine their response. Did someone simply look up the address and see it was not currently serviced??? We did that ourselves. Or did someone actually do a site survey of the equipment nearby...or perhaps that happens digitally, whatever the case..., and also to reiterate we're willing to pay a premium and commit to a long term contact in order to make it happen.

I was told that there wasn't a "plant" close enough to the residence. I asked how close the nearest "plant" was , and how close it would need to be-they said they couldn't answer the former question, to the latter they said the residence would need to be within 200 feet of the nearest "tap" to be able to extend a line.

I've run across posts where people have said they had to pay a few grand to have a 1200 foot extension. So I'm not sure what to think, or where to go from here. As it stands right now, we put the brakes on submitting our offer on the perfect home, put the brakes on listing our current home, etc etc. I'm assuming the cost of a plant extension would be prohibitive...what about tap extension?

Hoping for some feedback from anyone who has gone through a similar situation and had everything work out. How did you make it happen? Did you have to fight for it? How close was the nearest service and how far of an extension did you need?

Thanks for any input/feedback.

Scott

Official Employee

Re: Extending Xfinity to residence not currently serviced

Hi there, sdt0012. I can look into a map that has our lines and such. I work for the corporate office. I want to help in any way I can. I just bought my first house, myself, and that allow was stressful. I can't even imagine buying and selling a home at the same time.  

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply @ComcastMartin ! I've sent a PM with additional information as requested.

Official Employee

I wanted to thank you for reaching out to us. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out again! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!