Community Forum

Equipment Rental charges on a purchased Modem

Regular Visitor

Equipment Rental charges on a purchased Modem

Has anyone had issues with being charged a equipment rental fee for your purchased Modem?

There should be no reason, why I need to make repeated calls to get a resloution for the same issue. Called 3 different times over 5 months. Nevermind the the amount of transfers within those 3 calls.
Having to repeat the issue and provide the same equipment information is ridiculous. Even with the assigned ticket#s and dates on hand to confirm the previous inquiries. All this to confirm modem is not a rental and to stop charging me the fees. Modem was purchase in 2016 and as of 01/2018 rental fees started showing up.  Not sure if do to a system change or what, but this needs to be corrected. 

HB
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Equipment Rental charges on a purchased Modem

Unfortunately, this happens a lot.  It's happened to me, as well, and as it was explained to me, the modem ownership status "switch" needs to be flipped in two places by two different departments, which often doesn't happen.  Then, when an automated audit happens, the AI thinks the modem belongs to Comcast and generates the letter.  A Comcast employee will need to address this;  they answer problems in the order they are posted, so it may take a while.

Official Employee

Hi Hbuit, 

I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, but another time you would see this happen is if a customer were to purchase the modem from a non-certified retailer. The problem with this could be that the modem was rented to a previous customer who sold the modem instead of returning it. When another Comcast customer purchases it, and the account is audited, we can determine whether or not the modem was originally owned by us. If it is, then the rental feel for that modem will be reapplied. 

I'd like to review your account and the tickets that have been created for you to see how we can get this taken care of. In order assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Regular Visitor

I really  appreciate your input.  Will try that with the reps. I called again and now on my 3rd ticket for the same issue.  Don't underdstand how they close tickets without a resolution! No I am getting the could be didn't purchased from a "certified retailer".   How Best Buy, which had a hugh display of the infinity arris modem, isn't a certified retailer I have no idea.  

HB
Official Employee

Hey @Hbuit

Sorry for my delayed reply. I've been out of the office since Wednesday. I was just giving an example of how some customers could be charged for a modem they purchase if it's not from a third party retailer. I've just reviewed your private message and will be replying soon with more details of my next steps.