Community Forum

Ebay Scam?

Regular Visitor

Ebay Scam?

This is more of a head's up than a question, I guess... Today I got a call from a Comcast number in my address book, 800-266-2278, around 8:19 AM PDT.  The caller claimed to be from Comcast and offered me a deal for $129.99 a month if I would pay 2-mos in advance.  He said it was an EBay promotion and may have said something about EBay gift cards (I was 3/4 listing since I was at work.).  I figured there was no chance that EBay was paying Comcast enough of a promotional fee to discount my account $145 a month, so I told him he caught me between pay days and I'd have to wait on it. He had said something about paying by 11:00 PM tonight earlier in the call, but then said I had until 4/10 to pay $260 and my new plan would begin.  He told me to call 1-888-898-2290 and press #2 for the EBay promo by 4/10 to get the deal. 

I immediately went Xfinity.com and had a chat with a real customer service rep (Shweta?).  The person was very helpful and didn't clearly say the offer was fake, but instead said my account qualified for a different deal/discount. However, I had to re-up for 2 more years.  It wasn't $145 off, but only around $35 off.  I doubt this was the plan when I got the original call, but I could use the discount and I've been relatively satisfied with Comcast's service the last couple years so I re-upped.

This $129.99 EBay promotion is a scam, right?  And I'm supposed to trust that Comcast is calling me when a scammer is spoofing one of their legitimate numbers?  So, just a head's up out there that a scammer may be spoofing legitimate numbers now.  If this is not a scam, then please say so and tell me again how to get my bill down to $129.99. ":^>

New Poster

Re: Ebay Scam?

I received a very similar call on my cellphone. I call Xfinity customer service and gave her the number that you mentioned. After a few minutes she confirmed that it is legitimate but I suspect that she simply called the number to confirm that it is OK.  I would take the offer if true but don't believe it to be.

Official Employee

vdecambra, I am not aware of any corporate Ebay promotions but if you're interested in lowering your rate, I can take a look into that as a member of our corporate forums team. Just let me know. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks, Ken! Always interested in lowering a bill. However, while checking on that fake deal on the Xfinity site I got about $35+ off a month to re-up. I think I’m OK unless you can beat that. “:^>
Official Employee

Maybe I can???

Ship me a private message and I'll check. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Scot812, sorry to hear about that experience. We are not currently running a corporate promotion with eBay at this time. I'd be happy to take a look at your account and get to the bottom of this and investigate the employee's behavior. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

New Poster

Re: Ebay Scam? help

Please hepl ! I am so disappointed with myself.  I was scammed by this E-Bay offer. I went and purchased the E-bay gift cards for a total of $240.00, and turned over the "pin" to someone I thought was "COMCAST".  I am an educated professional and yet I allowed this to happen to me.  I have never ever been scammed before and I feel totally violated and incompetent.    Is there anyway I can get to the bottom of this.  I still have the gift cards. , is there an entity  to investigate this issue.

Please Help, I am now out $240.00.

Thanks

M.D.

New Poster

Well, I too fell for this scam. Why would'nt I? I recieved a call from a number used by Comcast/Xfinity. Comcast/Xfinity can claim the scammers are spoofing their phone number, but all my phone calls are recorded.  This is an Xfinity problem. The Call I recieved from Comcast number may be legitimate. 

The employee/scammer on the other line, knew my name, address, phone number (obviously he called me) my bill amount, package I had, and my account number, hence this is an Xfinity problem, they have either been hacked, or have employees of their call centers creating this scam. I gave him no information, but he had all of my information.

This may be huge. It certainly is a liability for Xfinity. I will call Xfinity  later this week, I got scammed Saturday but like I said, the person had all my personal  information.

New Poster

I think Xfinity must be aware of the breach, I sent the post above to an employee, and have recieved no response.

New Poster

I also just got a call from (800)-266-2278.  It sounded pretty shady, where I was supposed to buy a $240 eBay gift card and then call a number THEY gave me vs. me finding a legitimate number on my own.  They offered a signifigant savings to my account if I paid $240 by the end of today (along with a $100 Visa card).  This smells of Fraud.  Xfinity - whats the deal here?  Are they masking your number and scamming people? is this legitimate?  they gave me the number (888)-747-9531 to call to pay them the $240 from my ebay gift card.  Smells like dead fish.

New Poster

I got the same call re this Ebay promotion. The phone number came up as a comcast number that I had set up in my phone contacts.  I called Comcast and gave them the number from which I received the call and was told that the number was a legitiment Comcast line and the representative even gave me the time that I received the call.  The representative said she  wasn't aware of this promotion but she didn't warn me that it may be a scam.  How can Comcast not be aware of this problem when the scammers are using legitimate Comcast numbers and have detailed information about my account such as  account numbers, detailed info on what my account includes and the amounts of my previous months payments on my account. This has to be an inside job by an employee or Comcast has been hacked.  How can they not be aware of this scam .  I feel that Comcast should be warning customers of this SCAM!

New Poster

If you work for Comcast why are you not warning people about this scam?

New Poster

This happened in July  2019 . Did you check into the Ebay promotion offer? They are still pulling off this SCAM!!! Can you post back on this? Your time spent  will be appreciated.

New Poster

I received same offer from Xfinity, was very suspect. We got disconnected and they text me the following from +1 (786) 628-5649:

Thank you for Signing up your Promotion Code is 1-2BV9 you Need to Get an Ebay Gift Card of $240 and Call Billing Department at 888-747-9531 Extension 1.

Regards
“COMCAST THE HOME OF XFINITY”

Since then Xfinity has called my cell phone 3 times from the legitimate Xfinity number +1 (800) 934-6489.

I called Xfinity and they are trying to connect me to promotions which is taking forever. Can you help?

New Poster

They keep calling me and I can’t block because it’s the only Xfinity number I have. This is crazy please help.
New Poster

Also the phone number they gave actually answers as Comcast. Xfinity is required by law to notify customers when PHI has been exposed by a breach and I know my information is compromised.
New Poster

I just got this phone call today. I called customer service to vet out the authenticity and I was told that they do not ever call their customers with promotions. Promotions are only relayed via email or flyers with your bill. In summary, what’s too good to be true is just that, too good to be true. Don’t buy those eBay cards y’all.