Community Forum

EXTREME DATA USAGE !!?

New Poster

EXTREME DATA USAGE !!?

Hi,<br><br>I have been an xfinity customer for several years now. I am very pleased with the service and I wish to continue being a customer. However, this may change. I have been battling an issue since November 2017. I received an email from XFINITY stating that they changed my internet speed to 300+ Mbps *free of charge* in order to make the “xfinity experience better” without my permission. (violating the agreement that i signed for I think?)<br><br>Before November, my internet data usage was well below 1TB of data used per month. Now I am reaching numbers as high as 5,112 GB used per month. But how? I have a small one bedroom home with few devices connected. I have changed my router SSID and password. I have an XBOX ONE, Apple TV, HP Printer, ASUS laptop, Apple iPhone and the Apple iPad all connected to my network. <br><br>According to XFINITY with 1TB (1000 GBs) of data I should be able:<br>- to stream 600-700 hours of HD video <br>- upload/download 60K high resolution photos<br>- play 12,000 hours of online video games<br>- stream more than 15,000 hours of music<br><br>and this month although it has only been 11 days I have managed to use over 1405 GBs of data <br><br>My data usages by month since November:<br>NOV 2017: 2892 GB<br>DEC 2017: 5112 GB<br>JAN 2018: 3092 GB<br><br>What the heck is going on??? Why do I keep getting these extreme numbers! I do not use my internet all day long, I have a life. I have other things to do besides stay home and consume internet all day. Mathematically none of this makes sense to me.
Expert

Re: EXTREME DATA USAGE !!?

These folks deal with data usage inquires:

Customer Security Assurance 

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Just wondering, Are you a Internet only customer? If so, were you always a Internet only customer? Do you use a streaming service for TV?

I have noticed a number of people cancelling everything but Internet service and then having issues with data usage. 

Billw

New Poster

I have cable and internet service. I stream NETFLIX occasionally using my X1 DVR.
Regular Visitor

Yep I’m one and don’t listen to this Nedberg guy he is a Comcast employee or affiliate of Comcast. If you use a VPN and everything works fine after you start you VPN service then it’s a fact Xfinity Comcast is purposely throttling services because they cannot see what the data thatsbeing streamed and it’s illegal for them to break into the packets to find out. Trust me I know!!!!
Expert

@rpowell01 wrote:
Yep I’m one and don’t listen to this Nerdberg guy he is a Comcast employee or affiliate of Comcast. If you use a VPN and everything works fine after you start you VPN service then it’s a fact Xfinity Comcast is purposely throttling services because they cannot see what the data thatsbeing streamed and it’s illegal for them to break into the packets to find out. Trust me I know!!!!

Sorry, he isn't a Comcast employee or a contractor for Comcast.  He's just another customer.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

One of your devices could also have spyware/adware,virus, malware, etc causing it to eat up alot more data than what you actually use yourself. (Which isn't a Comcast issue) You need to try and pinpoint which device(s) is causing the issue. If you weren't over 1TB before, and now are hitting up to and over 5Tbs a month, then there is definitely an issue with one of your devices. I would disconnect them from your network until you pinpoint what is going on.

EDIT ADD: The increase in speed you referred to would have no effect on your usage, you would just have a faster connection with what you already do.