Community Forum

EXPLORER SETTOP IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE

New Poster

EXPLORER SETTOP IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE

I was informed by Comcast that I was eligible to upgrade my cable box, so I went to the local store last Sunday Feb 10th. I brought the first box home, followed all the instructions to set it up and activate properly, and the box would then not turn on. I called the support number, and nothing they tried would work. In fact, the box began to get extremely hot, and I was instructed to unplug it immediately and take it back to the store.

Now home with box #2, and again did the set up exactly as instructed. This time the box powered up, but I got the not authorized message. After almost 2 hours of the phone with support, they finally decided that a technician needed to come out and fix the problem. An appointment was made for Tuesday the 14th between 3 and 5pm. It is extremely rare that I get a day off during the week, but miraculously I was already going to be off that very day.

Tuesday the 14th, I made sure I was home at 3pm. No tech showing up yet. 4pm, still no tech. 5pm, still no tech so I decide to call Comcast. They can't reach the tech and have no idea where he is. The person on the phone says that the dispatch manager will call me back within 15 minutes and give me an update. An hour later, still no call. Finally I call them back again. Now I get told the tech had my 3-5 appointment, then a 5-7 appointment....and the tech went to the 5-7 appointment at 3pm. I'm told that it won't be until 8 or 8:30pm until the tech gets to my place. At this point, I've wasted most of my day for nothing, so I use this window of opportunity to run to the store. Sure enough, as soon as I walk in the grocery store, the tech calls and says they are on their way. So much for me getting anything done.

I go home, and the tech arrives shortly after. Nice enough guy, apologizes for the inconvenience, and starts trying to fix the problem. He says the line is getting a good signal, tries resetting the box, and still nothing. He goes down to his truck, gets another box, goes through the whole procedure with the other box, and still the same message. He goes and gets yet another box, repeats the process, and still nothing. At this point, he has no more cable boxes, and says he will come back the next evening with more boxes to try.

Next day(Feb 15th) I'm heading home from work in the evening, and contact the tech. He says he did some work on his end and guaranteed the box would be working when I got home. I get home, fire everything up......still not working. I let him know, and he says he will need to contact the manager. Then he says the manager is gone and won't be back until the next day(16th).

Here it is now the 16th, still getting the not authorized message. Tech says the manager is looking into my case, and I will get an update shortly. Never got an update. So once again, I call support yet again this evening about this ridiculous nonsense. Once again, I'm assured that this can be fixed over the phone. The person on the phone resets the box multiple times, each time saying this this time will fix it. I still have a cable box saying it isn't authorized.

In all my years of dealing with the public, corporations, customer service and problem solving, I have never seen such terrible service and incompetence. At least we now live in the age of social media, where people can see experiences like mine, which still isn't fixed, and make an informed decision if they want to choose a company like Comcast.

Expert

Re: EXPLORER SETTOP IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE

I'm going to escalate this to the forum admins for follow-up.

Admin1

Hi Hedges1125 -- Apologies for the issues you're having getting TV service connected. I reviewed your account and it is showing a signal issue that could be preventing boxes from activating. You would need a tech to be on-site to correct these issues. Did the tech get back to you letting you know if he would be returning? 

New Poster

I had a tech on site, checking the signal and said the issue wasn't with the signal. He has not returned yet. I've received several messages that the tech would return with more boxes to try, but nobody has shown up. This is not a good way to keep customers.
New Poster

I guess Comcast feels it's perfectly acceptable to leave customers to just hang in the wind without service.....just ignore the problem and it go away.
Admin1

I'm able to schedule another tech to come or I can send you a new box. Let me know how you would like to proceed. If you would like a tech then I'll need to know days/times that work best for you to have one. 

New Poster

ANSWER!!!!!

THE CARD IS NOT ACTIVATED. First - make sure the box is connected to the coax cable that goes straight into the wall. After powering on the cable box ( you may have to unplug it and plug it back in) the initial black screen with the welcome message will appear. Using your remote hit the "Info" button and keep pressing it until you get to a screen that gives you your CARD infomation. It will be a list of choices and you want the one that has the word HOST ID in it-should be the 2nd choice).- that choice should say something like"To activate this card or device call this number -it's a different number that appears on the blue screen -877-405-2298. Stay on that screen and call that number. The Tech will of course ask for the usual ID information and then ask what you need. *see, you won't go thru an automated system-this number goes straight to a person.*

Mention to them the message you had been receiving then let them know that you are on the page that has the CARD information.  You might have to keep pressing the host id choice but your objective is for the tech to make sure the serial# on the back of the box is matched to  the ID Card in the box. Once he sends that signal, you should be able to press the power button on the remote and get a picture.

Now this worked for me. I already had internet so I know it wasn't an outside cable issue. I really hope this helps:-)

New Poster

Thank you so much for your feedback on the issue that I was experiencing as well. I have been trying to resolve this error message as of yesterday and nothing worked from the two reps I spoke with and all I got was we can schedule a tech to come out but I wasn't able to get a tech out until the 13th onward. I attempted to try again this evening with calling Comcast for assistance and still absolutely nothing and the same resolution was to get a tech out and the rep had the nerves to advise me that if it is found to be a Comcast issue then there will be no charge. With me still being determine to troubleshoot the error myself, I came across your feedback so I followed accordingly with calling and verifying the card information and GUESS WHAT my host mac is not correct and the rep "stated" he was trying to resolve how this could happen and after being placed on hold for 4-5 minutes I get the response of I WAS GIVEN A BAD BOX AND I WOULD NEED TO GO SWITCH FOR A NEW BOX AND SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE BLAH BLAH BLAH. It took a total of speaking to 4 reps and a complete waste of my time to get the resolution of needing a new box. The bad part about it all is the reps were not even able to determine the error, I had to research and do the job to get the answer. Thank goodness for the internet because apparently not all workers are trained the same to follow a particular protocol to assist with resolving errors.