Community Forum

Does Cable require external power to be restored in order for cable to be accessible?

New Poster

Does Cable require external power to be restored in order for cable to be accessible?

We've had 2 power/cable outages in the last few days.

Both times, the power went out first, our generator kicked in and we continued to have TV, Internet and Phone service.

Eventually, the cable went out, so we had power (because of the generator) but no cable services.

At some point, I get a text saying that my Xfinity service has been restored...but I still receive the RDK-03003 error message on the screens. Phone and internet are also not functioning.

We do not get the cable service back until the power is restored by the electric company...regardless of having the generator running the whole time.

Expert

Re: Does Cable require external power to be restored in order for cable to be accessible?

@garypbee wrote:

We've had 2 power/cable outages in the last few days.

Both times, the power went out first, our generator kicked in and we continued to have TV, Internet and Phone service.

Eventually, the cable went out, so we had power (because of the generator) but no cable services.

At some point, I get a text saying that my Xfinity service has been restored...but I still receive the RDK-03003 error message on the screens. Phone and internet are also not functioning.

We do not get the cable service back until the power is restored by the electric company...regardless of having the generator running the whole time.

It looks like your local service center also lost power at the same time. Until they come back on and get their equipment up and functioning you are out of luck.

New Poster

Re: Does Cable require external power to be restored in order for cable to be accessible?

Our local service center is over a half hour away. I cannot imagine this being the case as both outages ended exactly the same, with Comcast saying that they had already fixed the problem, but both power and cable coming back on at the exact same moment
Expert

@garypbee,

Yes, cable systems require commercial power to operate. If you just have a localized power outage, the cable will often keep functioning since Comcast does have battery backups and generators on the system. If there is an extended commercial power outage, it generally isn't feasible to keep the system operational. Also when the power gets knocked out, the cable infrastructure is typically damaged as well. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

I got an explanation as to why this happens.

There is a relay for the cable out at the pole. It requires electricity.

Thus it cannot work until the power is restored to the area.