Community Forum

Disconnected ground(?) wire from cable line entry into home.

Frequent Visitor

Disconnected ground(?) wire from cable line entry into home.

Upon inspection of the cable box outside my house, I found a dangling green wire. See attached photo. I assume this was once connected to ground somewhere. Comcast ran a new line to my house several months ago, which was connected inside this grey box. Everything so far has been fine inside the home regarding TV and Internet, but I wonder if this ground wire should be connected to ground for safety / code compliance. Can anyone assist?

cablebox_outside.jpg
Expert

Re: Disconnected ground(?) wire from cable line entry into home.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello,

I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

You are correct.  The green wire should be connected to an "earth" ground such as water pipe, (if metal), ground rod, etc.  Oft times it is a construction crew that puts in the new drop from the street, and the install tech that does the final wiring.  I would think it would be easy enough for either of them to do. I would also connect the input block and splitter together with a short piece of wire. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks justsam. I have sent my information to the comcast representative as instructed. I'll report any findings.

Official Employee

Thank you for the information and I apologize for the delay. I can have a technician come out to have the ground wire fixed, this definitely needs to be fixed. Would you like me to schedule this for you, there would not be a charge? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Shane:

Yes, please proceed with the work order. I am glad it won't cost me anything. Thank you for your attention.

Official Employee

Shane:

Yes, please proceed with the work order. I am glad it won't cost me anything. Thank you for your attention.

NFULFX1, do you know if that ground wire was replaced by the orange one that is connected to the splitter? Please send either I or Shane a private message with your account info for help. 

Frequent Visitor

The orange line is the new line that was run to this box. So that's not a ground wire. Am I misunderstanding your question?

Official Employee

NFULFX1, got your private message, I'll follow up there. 

Frequent Visitor

A Comcast technician has reconnected the green ground wire back to a ground line.

There is now a little sign on the wire that says "Do no remove ground wire". 

If you're a homeowner reading this, please check that this line is not disconnected.

Thank you again for your help in getting this resolved.