Community Forum

Data Usage still increasing, modem and router powered off 48 hours ago

New Poster

Data Usage still increasing, modem and router powered off 48 hours ago

I have long suspected that the usage meter was inaccurate. My family never came close to exceeding the cap then about 6 months ago we started reaching the cap about 2/3rds of the way through the month. This holiday weekend I am traveling so I decided to run a little test. A a data engineer, I know that it is not really possible even when streaming content 24/7 to use 1TB of data in 30 days. I decided to run a test. I turned off the power and unplugged my modem and router before I left on Tuesday afternoon. Since then (well over the 24 hours needed for usage meter to be accurate on the website according to Comcasts website and engineers) My usage continues to increase. I use my own modem, the last technician that I spoke to claimed that they could see and contact my modem and send a "reboot signal" to it. When I asked them for more information, they claimed that the modem had a clean "boot file". I asked for a timestamp on the supposed "boot file" and was told that they just retrieved it. When I told the escalated technician that my modem and router had been off for over 24 hours, I was put on hold. I was then told that I could have a technician come to my house and check my connection at my own expense. The meter continues to increase with no power and no connection to the modem or router. Customer service is not willing to help and I cannot get an explanation on how my usage is increasing without power to the modem or router at my house. This month I have incurred an additional $80 in overage charges. Is anyone willing to help a longtime customer?

New Poster

Re: Data Usage still increasing, modem and router powered off 48 hours ago

We are encountering the same spike in data usage and overage charges. According to the usage meter, we have barely used it (no streaming/downloads/etc) and we continue to get emails about escalating usage of 50 gb per day at least. It's a scam pure and simple, but not sure what to do about it. Please keep us updated if you get any resolution.

Rhonda

New Poster

Re: Data Usage still increasing, modem and router powered off 48 hours ago

I've had the same issue. I've been on the phone with xfinity for over half an hour. I have a modem and router that tracks actual data usage. It shows 1 GB. Xfinity shows that I used 50 GB overnight. All they tell me is that my information is inaccurate, and xfinity's is correct. I've been a customer for a very long time and getting close to no longer being one. It is a scam. When I signed up with them almost 20 years ago, there was no data cap. There was no way that I'd get near 1 TB of usage. Now it's over a TB or close almost every month, especially toward the beginning and end of month, it spikes. I've found that everytime that they are in the area doing "improvements", I have data spikes. The customer service rep told me "since they are improving to make it faster, you will use more data." What kind of correlation is that?